Did I ruin my 1st batch? A story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Condor

Reaction score
Total newb screw-up on my very first brew ever. Added the flavor hops for the full hour boil. For the obvious question with no fuss, jump to the end. Experienced folks in need of a good chuckle, please sit back, open up your perfectly brewed bottle, and enjoy one at my expense:

I read Palmer's opening chapter on malt extract brewing, went on line for more instruction, and must have watched at least 5 different videos from accomplished home brewers on the process. I was so painstakingly prepared - you would have sobbed sweet angel tears of joy, I was so prepared. Steeping, sparging, extract, boil, all good. I had learned of this thing called a boil-over, but I was ready, MORE than ready to pounce. So ready that it didn't matter that, using only a three-gallon kettle, the liquid level was relatively close to the top. Not at all.

I already had my two envelopes of pellets neatly lined up on the counter, ready to rock. A nice, rolling boil with a sweet froth on top: achieved. Sensing victory, indeed, the greatest first batch of IPA ever brewed by a rookie an inevitable certainty, I confidently dropped in the nugget pellets, and....INSTANT BOIL-OVER! Not even a second of think-time passed, it was everywhere. Expletives shouted, hands flapping in the air, I moved quickly to shuffle the kettle off to the clean side of the stove top. Kettle wiped down, cautiously reheated, and me groaning at the clean-up ahead, I had only begun to calm my frayed nerves when I glanced over to the counter top and noticed, that...oh my! There are still so many lovely green pellets in that envelope. Odd, thought I'd tossed them in, but the sudden and traumatizing calamity had clearly short-circuited my memory. Oh well, I thought, throwing my hands in the air, gotta finish popping those pellets in there. Soooo....in they went.

Yeah, you guessed it, it was the flavoring hops for the 15-minute boil that essentially went in at minute 60. It was so utterly depressing going through the remainder of the process knowing I had probably screwed my first brew, but I pushed through to the end. So, what should I expect? Will it be a bitter-palooza? Probably fine? Something in between? Someday I'll look back and laugh, right? Please advise, dear friend! :tank:

-EC

It will be more bitter than you were expecting -- but hey, it's an IPA! Probably the best bet would have been to reduce your boil time to maybe 30 minutes, to keep the bitterness in check, but I think you will still be happy with the beer you brewed. It's still a miraculous thing to turn boiling syrup and rabbit pellets into crisp, cool beer. If your friends wince at the bitterness, tell them this is how an IPA is meant to taste.

Now that sounds like an action-packed brew session. Did you taste the wort? I wouldn't expect much if any hops flavor if you only added hops at 60 minutes. It will probably also be more bitter than you intended, but perhaps not by much if a lot of the hops pellets were expelled from the kettle with the boil over. What type of hops were your flavoring hops? The higher the AA%, the more bitterness they will have added. Don't worry, every session is a learning experience and it makes for a good story. Also, I'd pick up some Fermcap if you haven't already. It works miracles.

Thanks. The words of encouragement are a comfort to my soul. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :)
What's Fermcap, and how do I use it?

-EC

Google Fermcap-S. I use a bit less than 2 drops per gallon, added just before the boil. Zero boil overs, and also keeps the krausen down sometimes during fermentation without even adding any more after the boil. If your kettle is really full though, you'd still probably want to add a couple test pellets before dumping in a whole packet. All those nucleation sites can still overwhelm the Fermcap. As for the beer, I'd probably dry hop it with a few ounces of high flavor hop. It will add virtually no more bitterness but at least you'll get some aroma in there to kick it up a notch.

I think the bitterness probably won't be too bad, especially in a 3 gallon boil topped off to 5 gallons. I would dryhop with 4 ounces of Citra for 5-7 days. The strong aroma of Citra will help with the flavor you will be lacking.

Thanks - all the help here is amazing!

Good excuse to jump in and play with dry hopping early on. :D

I'll let the old pros handle the suggestions. Just know that the mistakes I made in my first batch actually helped my confidence going forward. I found out that you can make mistakes and still get great beer.

I've racked to a secondary ferment with an oz of Citra hops in there. Proceeding from here with fingers crossed for my...double IPA extra special Imperial? Should be fun - will let you all know how it turns out!

Back