Did I oxidize it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did some searching and all I could find was it could taste like cardboard etc.

So I just finished my first brew! So today was bottling day, I transferred from the fermentation bucket into a bottling bucket with the bottling sugar. I started to fill the first bottle with the tube and bottle filler then the flow stopped all of a sudden. I straightened the tube a bit and a big bubble went up thru the fermentation bucket!! The flow was still stopped and I realized that I didn't open the top to the fermentation bucket :/ so I opened the top up and boom it starts to flow just fine and I was able to fill the rest of the bottles no problem.

So I was just wondering, did I just screw up big time and oxidize it bad with that big bubble ??

Thanks

Oh man that hurts. I'd say you might as well dump it out and brew a new batch. Just kidding. This is where they say Relax, don't worry, have a brew. I bet you'll be fine.

Cool. Thanks guys. It was a loud burping bubble so I was kinda concerned but I figured I'd bottle them no matter what.

Congrats on your first batch and welcome to the forums! :mug:
You should be just fine. As was already mentioned that one bubble won't ruin your batch. Besides that, this is your first batch! It's going to be gone so fast it won't have a chance to oxidize :D

You are going to have this on your mind....so your first taste of your brew you will think you taste cardboard. Your brew is very very likely safe. Give a few weeks throw one in the fridge...then check it out.

Assuming you did any damage at all, it would barley be perceivable to anything but the most refined pallet and only after plenty of aging. Your beer will likely be gone in a few weeks..or even days, and will almost certainly be fine. The best part is, you won't do it again.

thanks everyone. i cant wait for it to be ready and it will definitely be gone quickly and im ready to brew my next batch!

Latest posts

Back