Did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball24

Reaction score
Did me first brew this weekend. I strained most of the sediment out as I was transferring to my carboy for fermenting. Should I have left that in during the fermentation process?

It's usually good to leave some in for yeast health, but it's not going to hurt either way unless you leave it on the lees too long and it starts to affect the flavor of the finished beer.

I used to strain, got tired of the added step so now I just dump it all in. Doesnt really make a difference either way.

You messed up terribly... Send the beer to me and I will see that it is properly disposed of. ;)

I strained twice. It was such a PITA that the second time was the last time. 5 years ago. I do use paint strainer bags to contain hop debris though.

Straining will aerate the wort some which is good for the yeast.

I've done both ways, both will work. I now just let it sit for about a half hour after pulling the chiller so everything can settle near the bottom and go from there (sometimes I'll whirlpool but overall I think it's pointless as I've never noticed a difference). I plan to leave about a gallon in the kettle which contains most of the sediment. I prefer to keep it out of the carboy just because that leaves more room for beer. I've done some IPAs that contain about and inch and a half of sediment under the yeast cake in the bottom of the carboy. Even with a 6.5 gallon carboy I often don't have enough room for a full 5 gallons of finished product so I need all the real estate I can get.

Back