Did i mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
Last night i made a hefeweizen extract kit from homebrewery.com, everything went well except for one thing. when it came time to put it into the fermentation bucket, i did not siphon it. I dumped it straight from the brew kettle into the fermentation bucket. I totally forgot about siphoning. So, now my beer is fermenting with all the sediment and and ingredients. It seems to be ok....the airlock is bubbling like crazy. Do i need to do anything to make this beer turn out ok? Did I screw up bad?

Thanks!

No worries. All that crap will settle out when the fermentation slows down. Many people do what you did, every brew, on purpose ( not me of corse ; ) .

Just be sure to siphon to your keg or bottling bucket when the time comes so you don't carry that sludge over. Your fine.

That's exactly what I do- I don't siphon until after fermentation. All of the break material, hops debris, etc, will settle out with the spent yeast as trub, so no worries!

You want to aerate your wort after brewing anyway, and pouring is a great way to do that.

You actually want to aerate the wort a little bit before you pitch. The yeast need the oxygen to do their thing, and most people do it just like you did. I just shake the piss out of my 6.5 gallon carboy for a minute or two after I siphon it. Your beer should be fine though.

My current brew is a Belgian wit which is my third brew. I tried the "dump it all in method" and its actually working better for me. Like the others said, just be sure to siphon the beer when you rack into the bottling bucket.

Dumping it is actually one of the BEST ways to transfer. You want as much oxygen in the wort at the start of fermentation as possible. The junk will settle.

I usually leave the last quart or so with all the junk in the kettle but it will not hurt anything to have it in the fermenter.

I'll echo all the above. I dump to aerate.
Your beer will be fine.
If you are still concerned, let it sit in the primary for another week or so and consider cold-crashing before bottling.

Not to get into a "dump the trub or not" issue at all, but if you WANT to do so, just buy a strainer that fits on you bucket and then dump through it.

That way you can strain and aerate at the same time.

Pez.

Back