Did I let it ferment in Primary too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok this is an ESB, kit said 5-10 day's in primary then 2ndary to clear.

OG 1.041 (Recipe said it should be 1.043)
5# Light LME
1/2 # Amber CM 40L
1/2# D Brown Sug
1/2# Corn Sug
1/2# Light DME (my addition... open pack I needed to use)

2Oz Kent G Boil(60m)
1Oz Kent G Finish (3 m)
1/2 tsp IM

14 days in Primary, yeasties (I think) were still floating, going up and down in the beer when I Opened the lid. I don't remember any of my beers doing this before.. Is this because of the Br Sug and Corn Sug? There is a ref to waiting 2 additional weeks for aging due to BS to conver to a smoothere tasting dextrose sugar.

SG reading 1.007 (recipe said it should be 1.010)

I just racked to 2ndary, nice and clear with the lumps/clumps of yeasties floating, the yeast Cake looked like a pancake that was ready to flip (bubble/holes).

The beer tasted good, clean finnish, not buttery or too bitter. So I'm sure it's not infected or anything.

Not sure though as the SG is so low...

Some ESB conisures comments would be great.

You can leave the beer in the primary for a month with out thing bad happening. In fact a lot of guys including my self do that now. It gives the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves.

You said the beer is clear already? you could probably bottle it now.

Sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation to me. It should be a good tasty beer after a couple weeks in secondary and 3 more in the bottle. 2 weeks in primary is usually better than one anyway.

The SG is in the range it should be, it's close enough.
Good for you for using the taste test as your guide.

Now you know something you didn't before. You left it in the primary and it tastes fine.

One of my best brews was an ESB that I let sit in the primary for 6 weeks. I never intended on letting it sit there so long but I only brew or bottle when I have time and that particular brew just ended up with 6 weeks in the primary. Damn that was good beer.

I have sort of a simliar problem, however, not exactly like the thread starter but I don't think it deserves its own thread. I have just made a real ale which incorporated mostly pellets. I bought a screen at my lhbs but it did nothing, was a waste and let practically everything in the boiling wort into the carboy. I will definitely by the funnel with the built in strainer from now on. Anyway, I got a lotta **** in my primary. this is a real ale that says bottle in ten days. I was wondering if I would be interfering with anything if I racked after say 5 days into another carboy hoping that some of the dust will settle and I will get a better product by eliminating all of the byproduct now in the primary. Need some advice guys. Thanks.

Mort

Don't worry about the hop particles at all for right now. All of that will fall out in about 5-7 days. I would rack your beer for at least one week just to make sure the yeast are done doing their thing. This will clear your beer quite well going into the secondary. Another 2 weeks in the secondary will take care of the rest for you. Just don't rack from the primary too soon... Check the hydro and let it tell you when the beer is done.

Thanks for the replies.

Good to know the ESB is still in the "Range" appropriate to the style. It will be a few months now as it will have to wait to go to Keg then to Tap as I have enough on line right now.

Primary empty
Secondary ESB
1 Keg Empty
Tap 1 Heff 1/2 full
Tap 2 M&J full

Back