Did I Kill the Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
So I picked up the fixings for a stout yesterday, and also some stuff to bottle soda (root-beer)--thought that it'd be a cool project to involve the kids...

My yeast was a smack pack for the stout and champaign yeast for the soda. Only problem is I forgot to put them in the fridge. I just now remembered, and threw them in the fridge. But it's been about 30 hours at room temperature now so I gotta ask, do you think I hurt either of those yeasts?

Also maybe for next time...
When I move my yeast from the fridge to room temp or vice versa I usually wrap the yeast in a wash cloth or something to insulate it and slow the change in temp to avoid shocking my yeast.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
...slow the change in temp to avoid shocking my yeast.
Hmmm, I warmed mine in lukewarm water immediately after taking it out of the fridge for my first batch. Never thought of it, and I do feel really stupid for not thinking of it... :eek:

Thanks for the idea, though. I will do that next time, because you remind me that two ways to kill bacteria are through extreme heat or rapid temperature change. Can't believe it never occurred to me. I guess I need to remember that yeast is a bacteria too, not just an ingredient...

Back