Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any other explanation of what the foam on top would be? Assuming its krausen, then I'm good to go. I really do believe that I killed my yeast as well. Now I'm just curious as to weather enough survived, or I really did get some lambic.

Is there any other explanation of what the foam on top would be? Assuming its krausen, then I'm good to go. I really do believe that I killed my yeast as well. Now I'm just curious as to weather enough survived, or I really did get some lambic.

Cheesepolp, don't sweat the whole lambic thing. Unless you left your fermenter open for wild microbes to fall in, don't worry! Without a picture there really is no way of telling what exactly you have going on. But PLEASE don't take a picture now! Keep that lid on there! Take your gravity reading tomorrow and report your findings. If the gravity still hasn't changed I would STRONGLY consider trying to get your hands on another packet of dried yeast.

If infact enough survived then you suffered through a very long lag time and won't let it happen again. Chances are the foam on the top is krausen and you will be in business.

Quick question, since I'm not a member can I post pics?
And btw, Are lambics bad? I was under the impression that it's not necessarily a problem as long as fermentation happens.

Quick question, since I'm not a member can I post pics?
And btw, Are lambics bad? I was under the impression that it's not necessarily a problem as long as fermentation happens.

No, but you can use a third party image host and then post them here. Lambics aren't terrible, its just that you have no idea how they will ferment.

Yeah sure, they might produce ethanol and CO2 but unlike the controlled strain of yeast you were using, you won't know what to expect. The yeast you pitched had certain features that you could count on such as flocculation (clumping of yeast and falling to the bottom), attenuation (percentage of sugar in wort that can be converted to CO2, ethanol and other flavors) and fermentation temperature. The wild yeast in Indiana is different than that of say California or New York.

That's a pretty fermentation you've got starting there, Cheesepolp. I was just as nervous as you have been with your first batch. I didn't think I sanitized enough, I didn't think I cooled my wort enough before I pitched, I didn't think the foam would help my beer so I almost dumped it, I watched the airlock constantly to see if it was fermenting, and got paranoid after 3 hours that there was no activity.

Best advice I can give as a fellow newer brewer is: Relax. Deep breaths. Drink a Craft Brew until you have Home Brew. Repeat as warranted!

That's krauzen...that means the yeasties are very much alive and you have 2 things happenning...1) you have normal fermentation, and 2)you have a case of "noobitus," Aka the "first batch willies" :D we've all been there...

Now giver your beer the space it needs...in fact walk away from it for another 7-10 days before doing anything...Let the yeast do their jobs.

And don't worry.....

:mug:

I just went through this scenario myself - rehydrated yeast with water that was too hot and didn't know it until too late. i apparently broke my thermometer when i tried to make it a floating thermometer by pushing it through a cork - it gave false readings after that.

more than two full days later, no airlock activity so i opened her up - nothing but still wort staring me in the face. Off to the homebrew store for more yeast i go, as the only other yeast i had was a champagne yeast for some apfelwein i was going to make.

by the time i got back from the store and opened the lid again later that day, there was a fine layer of krausen just starting to form on the top - luckily i hadn't tried to rehydrate the new yeast again (i was just going to pitch dry).

Thank you guys. Now all this is settled. How long do I wait before I move it into the secondary? I'm positive I have a hole in my seal. So Aside from opening it up, how can i tell when to transfer?

Check the gravity in about 10 - 14 days. If it stays the same three days in a row rack to secondary. You don't have to use a secondary though. You can just keep it in primary for the full duration of the fermentation until you are ready to bottle.

While you didn't kill all of your yeast I'm willing to bet that the long lag time you experienced was from the shock the hot water put them through. Glad it all worked out for you though!

Nope, not one bit. When primary fermentation is done the yeast begin cleaning up some of the byproducts they produce. It is actually a preferred thing to do. Everyone has different ways they approach the fermentation/conditioning process.

Some do 1-2-3; 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle.
Some do 2-2-3; 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle.
Some people don't even transfer from primary until they are ready to bottle/keg their beer. What you choose is up to you and is a matter of preferance and equipment restrictions.

Personally I do the 2-2-3 method and the refrigerate for about 2 to 3 weeks before consuming :) Thats the great thing about this hobby, you can do whatever suits you best! :)

Not at all. Alot of people leave their brew in the primary the entire time. Folks sometimes get confused when they hear primary and secondary...primary is where the entire fermentation process should take place.

A secondary is used by some to clear up the beer...give it another go at letting the suspended sediment settle out. I've heard arguements go the other way as well...some leave it in the primary for an extended period of time and it clears up just the same as it would in a secondary.

The only reason I use a secondary is to free up my primary, since I try to cook a batch a week and only have 2 carboys at the moment :(

Nope, not one bit. When primary fermentation is done the yeast begin cleaning up some of the byproducts they produce. It is actually a preferred thing to do. Everyone has different ways they approach the fermentation/conditioning process.

Some do 1-2-3; 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle.
Some do 2-2-3; 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary and 3 weeks bottle.
Some people don't even transfer from primary until they are ready to bottle/keg their beer. What you choose is up to you and is a matter of preferance and equipment restrictions.

Schweaty is dead on. A tend to alternate, I do one batch 1,2,3, then my next is 2,2,3, then back to 1,2,3. It helps me rotate my batches until I purchase more carboys.

Why, do you need a stiff drink after the past few days?!? :) I bet you do!
I don't think there is. Only be beer, wine, mead, cider and soda.

Lol. It's just that from my understanding its fairly easy to make a 20% by volume base with some turbo yeast and table sugar. I'm either branching to Liquor or Mead next.

Back