Did I infect my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klamz

Reaction score
So I brewed a Brown Ale with wyeast 1056. I pitched enough yeast and had a constant fermentation temp of 68F. The beer tasted excellent up until it was carbed. I sampled my first bottle yesterday and I noticed a very strong phenolic flavor coming from the co2. I am wondering where I may have went wrong and I think it's possible that it was my bottling process.

My tap water is from a well so there is no chlorine. It also passes through a carbon filter. I took apart and sanatized all my equipment with starsan including the spigot on the bottling bucket. The only thing I did differently was that I boiled my priming water in a unsanatized yet cleaned flask for only about 2 minutes. Then I turned off the heat and added the sugar, never actually bringing it back to a boil. I did this because I was concerned that I would burn the sugar and cause other issues. I'm not sure why I did it because all my other batches came out well. I opened another beer today in hopes that it was just a dirty bottle, but it turns out that one had the phenolic gas as well. Looks like a ruined a great batch of brown ale!!! does anyone think it could be something other than an infection? or just poor priming technique?

Latest posts

Back