Did I goof up? Wet hopping at end of fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingBrewer

Reaction score
So might have just had a brain fart. Following a recipe, I needed to add some hops at the end of fermentation for a few days. Used Ella and Bravo pellets. I was just about to put them in and thought, hey why not throw in some fresh picked wild hops. Few hours later sitting on the couch and thought to myself that might’ve been a dumb idea adding the fresh hops. I’m just concerned about infection. There is a chance a critter might have snuck by hiding in a hop.

B628D5F3-F910-45E7-9836-B02C2605A234.jpeg

D5B86E91-6909-44FE-8FCE-1F7820482BB0.jpeg

I have no doubt there are plenty of critter bits in commercial hops.
Hopefully there's enough alcohol in the beer to keep anything untoward from happening.
The effects of 2.6 ounces of wet hops is going to be roughly in line with a half-ounce of dry cones...

Cheers!

The effects of 2.6 ounces of wet hops is going to be roughly in line with a half-ounce of dry cones...

Cheers!
And less than .25 oz of pellets. That said, I have zero concern for infection. Hops themselves are extremely anti-microbial, that combined with an alcoholic environment... let’s just say you’d have to be extremely unfortunate to a specific and strong wild microbe in your area in a large community living on those hops for it to occur.

In dried hops (whatever you'd by from the store whether whole cone or pellet or cryo hash or whatever form), little water content to counteract the antimicrobial contents.

Wet hops are another story.

I see it as analogous to honey. In syrup form the water content of honey is so low that microbes cannot grow, hence honey never going bad. But as soon as water content is introduced that is no longer the case (see: infant botulism poisoning).

While it's not a guarantee, I'd say that yes using wet hops on the cold side (ie as a dry hop) can indeed introduce an infection.

In dried hops (whatever you'd by from the store whether whole cone or pellet or cryo hash or whatever form), little water content to counteract the antimicrobial contents.

Wet hops are another story.

I see it as analogous to honey. In syrup form the water content of honey is so low that microbes cannot grow, hence honey never going bad. But as soon as water content is introduced that is no longer the case (see: infant botulism poisoning).

While it's not a guarantee, I'd say that yes using wet hops on the cold side (ie as a dry hop) can indeed introduce an infection.
Yes but this should be different than honey. honey is a fermentable and the low water content prevents it from being fermented, So the honey itself is not antimicrobial. I should have been more specific previously, hops are antibacterial, other micros can break them down but this is typically mildews and fungus, both of which need oxygen rich environments to flourish. So his risk is extremely low

Last edited:
Yes but this should be different than honey. honey is a fermentable and the low water content prevents it from being fermented, So the honey itself is not antimicrobial. I should have been more specific previously, hops are antibacterial, other micros can break them down but this is typically mildews and fungus, both of which need oxygen rich environments to flourish. So his risk is extremely low

Agreed it's still fairly low risk. Far lower than, say, fresh unpasteurized fruit (which is a surefire way to pick up wild yeast). But also not like dried hops (especially when freshly opened) where it's basically zero risk. I've definitely seen infections come from wet hops used below pasteurization temps. I've personally only used em either very late boil or whirlpool (and vast majority the latter) for that reason. Never as a dry hop.

(keep in mind that yeast is a fungus after all...)
Very true but really only related by kingdom. Thats the equivalent mammals relation to mammals. I would think that if it was cause for major concern it would be clearly and definitively researched

Last edited:
I have no doubt there are plenty of critter bits in commercial hops.
Hopefully there's enough alcohol in the beer to keep anything untoward from happening.

Cheers!
Recipe says aprox 7.5 ABV
That is 26 grams not 2.6 oz. 😉

My concern is not the pelletized hops but rather the fresh wet hops I added.

4 years now, and I have yet to wet hop a beer. I keep meaning to, maybe 2021 will be better. Keep us posted, only time will tell at this point.
Prost!

4 years now, and I have yet to wet hop a beer. I keep meaning to, maybe 2021 will be better. Keep us posted, only time will tell at this point.
Prost!

Will definitely post an update good or bad.

Wasn’t much of a “wet hop” in wet hop terms. Just a small handful. Not even sure there will be much flavor or aroma from them. As I had mentioned they are some wild hops I harvested not even sure what type they are. All I know is they have a very strong citrus aroma.

Will definitely post an update good or bad.

Wasn’t much of a “wet hop” in wet hop terms. Just a small handful. Not even sure there will be much flavor or aroma from them. As I had mentioned they are some wild hops I harvested not even sure what type they are. All I know is they have a very strong citrus aroma.
Still "braver man than I".. Keep on Keepin' on.. (to quote a few songs)

No way to undo it. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Odds are it'll be fine.

Tangential aside: I made my first wet hop beer this year with cascade hops we grew and it just came out of the fermenter over the weekend. I didn't use a recipe, just started with grain bill from an old pale ale and used up some leftover (bittering) hops from other recipes, with fresh picked wet hops at 30, 15 and 10 min. It tastes so good - it might be my best beer yet. Can't wait for it to finish carbonating.

UPDATE ;

I've been busy the past few days getting my next batch of brew under way, Chocolate Espresso Russian Imperial Stout. But for the batch I had concerns about in the original post, an Extra Strong Vintage Ale, with contamination from fresh hops added late... well I have to say I bottled on Oct 2nd absolutely no signs of infection or funky smells! WoooHooo!😄 Also tasted a sample and tasted really good so I think I’m safe. 😉

CEEE5076-E213-49EE-B21A-0F56888C12BB.jpeg

357CCA0C-D62A-4C25-889E-011E9A3AE857.jpeg

Back