Did I go too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deleted

Reaction score
Wanted to brew 10 gallon batches and had an aluminum pot.... just brewed a 5 gallon in this yesterday and has me wondering if too big is a problem for a smaller batch? I noticed that the larger mouth means less copper coils are in the wort when trying to cool...

View attachment 1417458168940.jpg

Yes, it is WAY too big. Send the pot to me ASAP so it doesn't happen again. PM me for my address.

Lmao.... I figured that too big as in throwing a hot dog down a hallway was the application. So I guess the next thing to do is add a thermometer and ball valve!

Wanted to brew 10 gallon batches and had an aluminum pot.... just brewed a 5 gallon in this yesterday and has me wondering if too big is a problem for a smaller batch? I noticed that the larger mouth means less copper coils are in the wort when trying to cool...

You can't go too big. You just need to get more beer drinking friends.

Less wort means less thermal mass which means faster cooling times. Having copper coils outside of the wort doesn't affect efficiency. It just means that your chiller can cool more than you've got in your kettle.

You can't go too big. You just need to get more beer drinking friends.

Less wort means less thermal mass which means faster cooling times. Having copper coils outside of the wort doesn't affect efficiency. It just means that your chiller can cool more than you've got in your kettle.

Thanks for the confirmation on this. So with a 5 gallon batch how much do you typically boil? For kits they call for 2.5 gallons which I follow but don't really know the magic behind the number.... why 2.5 vs 5 and is there any difference in more vs less?

Thermometer in boil kettle is stupid, spend money on a sight glass.

So far most kits come with specialty grains to steep and I use a thermometer to make sure I am in the 150% range. Is there an easier way to do this? I'll check out a sight glass!

I use to date a girl that recently had a boob job. She chose 800cc's and asked the same question as you. You know my answer.
Back on topic, I have a 15g BK and I've only brewed 5g's. Also, to the homie that said that a thermometer on a BK is stupid...I totally disagree. Yes, a boil is a boil but when cooling your wort quickly to 160F, a thermometer helps.

I use to date a girl that recently had a boob job. She chose 800cc's and asked the same question as you. You know my answer.
Back on topic, I have a 15g BK and I've only brewed 5g's. Also, to the homie that said that a thermometer on a BK is stupid...I totally disagree. Yes, a boil is a boil but when cooling your wort quickly to 160F, a thermometer helps.

Pictures or it didn't happen....

Afterward pictures that is....

I do 10 or 15 gallon batches in a 25 gallon kettle, so as long as you adjust for your boiloff rate and have enough at the start of the boil you should be fine. If you are really worried about cooling can you recoil your chiller to a bigger diameter to get more in the wort or chop in half and do the ribcage design to get more surface area in the wort.

If that pot is too big, I'm screwed!

image.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation on this. So with a 5 gallon batch how much do you typically boil? For kits they call for 2.5 gallons which I follow but don't really know the magic behind the number.... why 2.5 vs 5 and is there any difference in more vs less?

I wouldn't depend on "typical" - it's all dependent on your own setup. You have a pretty skinny tall pot, which means that you have less surface area, which means you'll boil off less per hour than my short wide pot.

Kits call for 2.5 gallons for those of us that can't do full boils. You can definitely do full boils.

So what you should do is carefully measure about 3 gallons of room temp water and put those in the boil kettle and get the water to a boil and then start a timer and boil the water for half of an hour. Let the water cool to room temp again and then measure the water again and figure out how much water you lost to evaporation. Double that number and then you'll know how much water you'll be boiling off in a typical 60 minute boil.

That's one thing you'll need to know. Other things you'll need to know:
* How much the wort is going to shrink when it goes from boiling temps down to yeast pitching temps. Known as "shrinkage." Your wort will shrink approximately 4% in volume going from boiling to room temps.
* How much wort you leave behind in your kettle / tubing when you drain from the kettle to your fermentor. This is known as "deadspace loss."
* How much beer / trub you leave behind when you transfer from your fermentor to your bottling bucket or keg. This is known as "trub / fermentor loss."
* How much beer you leave behind in your bottling bucket, if you bottle. This could be added to the fermentor loss.

So let's say you want 5 gallons of finished beer.
You lose a negligible amount of beer to your bottling bucket, so you don't even worry about this. Still 5 gallons needed.
You lose about a quarter gallon to your carboy, so you need 5.25 gallons of beer.
You lose about a half gallon of wort to the deadspace in your boil kettle / hops left in the bottom of the boil kettle absorbing wort / wort left in your tubing. So you need 5.75 gallons of room temperature wort at the end of the boil.
You lose a gallon of wort in a 60 minute boil, so for a 60 minute boil, you'll need 6.75 gallons of room temperature wort before the boil.
The wort will expand 4% when it reaches boiling temps, so add another 4% to the 6.75 gallons and...it looks like you'll need 7 measured gallons of boiling wort at the beginning of your boil.
That will get you pretty close to your pre-boil amount.
If you want to get even more precise...wort shrinks about 2% from boiling temps to mashing temps, so subtract 2% from 7 gallons and you'll need 6.9 gallons of wort at mashing temps.

I wouldn't depend on "typical" - it's all dependent on your own setup. You have a pretty skinny tall pot, which means that you have less surface area, which means you'll boil off less per hour than my short wide pot.

Kits call for 2.5 gallons for those of us that can't do full boils. You can definitely do full boils.

So what you should do is carefully measure about 3 gallons of room temp water and put those in the boil kettle and get the water to a boil and then start a timer and boil the water for half of an hour. Let the water cool to room temp again and then measure the water again and figure out how much water you lost to evaporation. Double that number and then you'll know how much water you'll be boiling off in a typical 60 minute boil.

That's one thing you'll need to know. Other things you'll need to know:
* How much the wort is going to shrink when it goes from boiling temps down to yeast pitching temps. Known as "shrinkage." Your wort will shrink approximately 4% in volume going from boiling to room temps.
* How much wort you leave behind in your kettle / tubing when you drain from the kettle to your fermentor. This is known as "deadspace loss."
* How much beer / trub you leave behind when you transfer from your fermentor to your bottling bucket or keg. This is known as "trub / fermentor loss."
* How much beer you leave behind in your bottling bucket, if you bottle. This could be added to the fermentor loss.

So let's say you want 5 gallons of finished beer.
You lose a negligible amount of beer to your bottling bucket, so you don't even worry about this. Still 5 gallons needed.
You lose about a quarter gallon to your carboy, so you need 5.25 gallons of beer.
You lose about a half gallon of wort to the deadspace in your boil kettle / hops left in the bottom of the boil kettle absorbing wort / wort left in your tubing. So you need 5.75 gallons of room temperature wort at the end of the boil.
You lose a gallon of wort in a 60 minute boil, so for a 60 minute boil, you'll need 6.75 gallons of room temperature wort before the boil.
The wort will expand 4% when it reaches boiling temps, so add another 4% to the 6.75 gallons and...it looks like you'll need 7 measured gallons of boiling wort at the beginning of your boil.
That will get you pretty close to your pre-boil amount.
If you want to get even more precise...wort shrinks about 2% from boiling temps to mashing temps, so subtract 2% from 7 gallons and you'll need 6.9 gallons of wort at mashing temps.

Great info! That totally makes sense. Guess I can do full boils and calculate what I need so I don't have to add water after boil.

Latest posts

Back