Did I drasticaly kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaPoodles

Reaction score
Ok so it's my first time brewing and I'm at ~60h's of fermentation now, airlock and bubbles started about 12h's after batch was put in carboy, so total of about 72h's. Yesterday the airlock had a nice rythme, the bubbles were there as well as the cediments (idk how else to call it) and no sign of infections, but I got a bit worried today seeing the temperature that keep raising up 70-72-75 (everytime I check) even after everytime I cooled it down with a wet cold cloth and cold air blowing on it to inhence the cold reparted all over the carboy homogenaly, going down from 72-70 then 75-72 & 76-70 again, and I knew i could'nt always be there to cool it down everytime the temperature was raising (72 in the room), SO :

We moved the carboy to another room where it's cooler (68-70) and since the temperature was too high while we moved it there (77) we decided to surround the carboy with a bit of ice (those gel things you can hold in place) to cool it down faster........ Checked 40mins later, had lost 3 degrees (77-74), which was good and we were all like :ban:, but then we saw ALL THE BUBBLES WERE GONE :confused:! The airlock is pumping once every 12 seconds instead of each 2-3 seconds now and we're kinda terrified! There's a lot of sparkling on the top now though, like when you open a soft drink (looks like carbon dioxyde).

Did we do a too drastic temp change and killed the yeast??? I mean what are the chances fermentation ceasing a bit EXACTLY when we did the room change with the ice!?

image.jpg

I would put the fermenter in a tub with water and throw some frozen bottles of water in. That should cool it down for you. Your primary fermentation may be complete, but let it sit for 2-3 weeks total. Most likely those bubbles are CO2 that was trapped in the yeast and got displaced when you moved the fermenter. As is said many times on here, RDWHAHB. You should be fine.

Did you kill your yeast? Not likely, they do very well at higher temperatures. That is not always good though. You can get off flavors and fusel alcohols from fermenting too warm.

What has probably happened it that your fermentation has passed the most active stage. Keep it cool for another couple of days. Low to mid sixties is best for most ale yeasts.

Then let it keep going for at least 10 days total 2-3 weeks or longer is better. Check for final gravity and get 2 readings the same two days apart and it is ready to bottle.

Ok thanks a lot for the responses! Glad I didn't kill those little workers heh. So I'll keep my primary in a cooler place and I'll bottle as your instructions
Thanks a lot :)

Back