Did I corrode my Aluminum pitcher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobanon

Reaction score
Gotta love brew day surprises...like finding my ball valves and other stainless bits soaking in dish soap (Ajax) that I forgot to finish cleaning out after my last brew...about ten days ago. To be safe, I set this pitcher aside until I could hear from someone who knows more about metals reacting than I do. How about it, fellas?

View attachment 1422496195893.jpg

Gotta love brew day surprises...like finding my ball valves and other stainless bits soaking in dish soap (Ajax) that I forgot to finish cleaning out after my last brew...about ten days ago. To be safe, I set this pitcher aside until I could hear from someone who knows more about metals reacting than I do. How about it, fellas?

What is your actual concern? The AL does not look passivated but I assume your issue is the minor putting in the bottom? I so, what do you use the pitcher for as I am struggling to see how this would be an issue.

What is your actual concern? The AL does not look passivated but I assume your issue is the minor putting in the bottom? I so, what do you use the pitcher for as I am struggling to see how this would be an issue.

My bad, I use it for various tasks - measuring water, running off wort for vorlauf, soaking parts to be cleaned, etc. I'm concerned that the putting (?) is somehow not-so-great for one's health in instances of it coming into contact with future-beverage. Like I said, I don't know much/anything about metals and how they react with one another. I just know that you're supposed to oxidize an aluminum kettle before boiling anything you're going to drink in it...I guess I'm just being a big weenie? :drunk:

My bad, I use it for various tasks - measuring water, running off wort for vorlauf, soaking parts to be cleaned, etc. I'm concerned that the putting (?) is somehow not-so-great for one's health in instances of it coming into contact with future-beverage. Like I said, I don't know much/anything about metals and how they react with one another. I just know that you're supposed to oxidize an aluminum kettle before boiling anything you're going to drink in it...I guess I'm just being a big weenie? :drunk:

As hard as this is for you to do (I am guessing) just let the stupid thing oxidize and after that never clean it with anything harsher than mild dish detergent and sponge.

Soaking of parts really should be done in non-reactive plastics or glass.

Ass for the pitting, after it has a nice light gray oxide layer, feel free to ignore it ever happened.

Back