Did I cook the yeasties???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneHawk

Reaction score
So, dumb, absent minded me pitched the yeast in a too-hot must last night. The must was probably around 110F and the yeast Montrachet. It wasn't until after I bunged the carboy and put the airlock on that it dawned on me. At that point there was nothing I could do but wait and see. This morning there is foaming at the top of the must and some airlock activity so I think I'm in the clear. Should I just let it be for a while and hope for the best or should I intervene in some way, like adding more yeast?

:smack:

110 is at the upper limit of yeast, so most of the cells probably made it. some might have been damaged, perhaps a few killed, but the majority will have survived. i wonder what the impact was of that much cooling. going from 110 to 70/ambient is a big drop, won't make the yeast happy.

getting some more yeast in there, if you have it, wouldn't be a bad idea. it's not like you have to worry about over-pitching.

I used Montrachet. I think at this point I'm going to just let it be and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back