Did I contaminate my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlvc1007

Reaction score
This morning I when I went to go check on my yeast starter, I found, much to my dismay that my 2 liter bottle I was using to make my starter was floating on its side in the water bath. Half the wort had spilled out. I'm positive it happened last night, fermentation was at its peak yesterday morning. There is still a nice thick layer of yeast on the bottom. Should I dump it and pitch a fresh packet of yeast, or should I be safe with this. Also would tasting the "beer" from the state show any signs of contamination?

This morning I when I went to go check on my yeast starter, I found, much to my dismay that my 2 liter bottle I was using to make my starter was floating on its side in the water bath. Half the wort had spilled out. I'm positive it happened last night, fermentation was at its peak yesterday morning. There is still a nice thick layer of yeast on the bottom. Should I dump it and pitch a fresh packet of yeast, or should I be safe with this. Also would tasting the "beer" from the state show any signs of contamination?

Contaminants take a bit longer to set themselves up from a wild strain than a healthy yeast. Sure, you could taste it.

Personally, I would bet a 5 or 10 gallon batch on a yeast that fell over and spilled.

M_C

If I were you I'd play it safe and repitch. One, you most likely don't have the amount of yeast you anticipated on pitching. Two, it's safe to say that what is I'm that bath isn't just water, you don't want to risk contamination. If your using a 2 liter soda bottle, try using a flask. If you can't afford one, by a half gallon of milk that is in glass, it's alot sturdier. Last pick a safer place to store your starter, like your bedroom closet.

Contaminants take a bit longer to set themselves up from a wild strain than a healthy yeast. Sure, you could taste it.

Personally, I would bet a 5 or 10 gallon batch on a yeast that fell over and spilled.

M_C

I feel like its important that the water bath is mildly chlorinated? About 1/4 of what would use to sanitize, but it still chlorinated nonetheless. Would that change your bet?

Back