Did I bottle too early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken1812

Reaction score
First timer here.
My kit instructed to bottle after 1 week. Which I did, however I didn't think about taking a final gravity reading prior to bottling. I decided to crack one open and take a reading just to be safe, and it was higher than the kit instructions specified. The instructions said 1.010-1.012. My readings are below. Should I be concerned?

BG 1.045
FG: 1.016

Edit: It's a pale ale if it makes a difference.

the kits always tell you to bottle early. that way they sell more kits. What most home brewers do is leave the beer alone in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks. usually 3 weeks. what I do is primary(bucket) for 2 weeks and secondary(glass carboy) for 1 week , then bottle. I do the secondary for clearing(settling of trub picked up from the primary). Most brewers don't agree with this, but It is my preference. Take a reading out of primary at least 2 times a few days apart. if it is within a couple of points of expected Final gravity(FG) it will be good to bottle. it is good to leave the bottles alone for at least 2 weeks, better to leave alone for 3 weeks.
I have a setup with 2 buckets and 1 carboy in rotation. I also have 3 batches in bottles in various stages of carbonation. That is called a pipeline, keeps you stocked with homebrew, so you don't have to buy another commercial beer ever again.

At 1.016, it's probably just fine so don't worry!

Leaving it longer in the fermenter doesn't mean it would be more done, as done is done, but it would help with clarity and less gunk in the bottles.

Keep an eye out for further fermentation, and if any bottle gushes when you open it that is a sign, but otherwise it should be ok.

Back