Did dry hopping restart fermentation?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I brewed up the Kama Citra all-grain IPA kit on May 21. My OG was 1.052. I did a BIAB method and ended up with about 4.5 gallons of wort in the fermenter. I used Bry-97 for the kit. I fermented in the mid 60's. On May 28 the gravity was down to 1.012. The gravity on June 1 was 1.011. I racked the beer on June 4 and dry hopped it on June 10 in hopes of bottling June 17 (tomorrow). I moved the beer to my kitchen counter in preps of bottling on June 15. It went from the basement (a few degrees cooler) to the kitchen for the move. Airlock activity started soon after the move to the kitchen. There was never any airlock activity when it was dry hopping in the basement. I can't tell if it's yeast moving around in the carboy or just hop bits, but there is movement of the carboy's contents. Did dry hopping and/or raising the beer's temperature (by moving its location) restart fermentation? I would have thought given the beer's gravity was down to 1.011 that was as low as it would go given it's Bry-87 and not some Belgian yeast strain. Would you bottle tomorrow or would you hold off until the airlock stops? Should I take another gravity reading to see if the beer is below 1.011 and only bottle if it's not? If I have to wait another few days, or even a week, to bottle, should I add more more hops? I know you want to dry hop 5-7 days before bottling and tomorrow is day 7 from the dry hop addition. I don't want grassy flavors, but I also surely don't want bottle bombs. Thanks!

Moving it and the increased temp (plus dropping in hop pellets with all sorts of nucleation sites) knocked CO2 out of suspension, leading to airlock activity.

If you want to be sure, check the gravity again. I bet it's still 1.011.

The dry hop pellets were added in the basement and it was dry hopping there for 4-5 days before being moved, if that makes any difference. However, I will take another gravity reading today in hopes of it still being at 1.011.

It's at either 1.010 or 1.009. It was at 1.011 on June 1. I would THINK that gravity difference was made between June 1 and at least a few days before today, but I guess I'll take another reading tomorrow. Assuming it's no lower than it was today I could bottle, right?

Back