Diagnosis please.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D5000

Reaction score
I brewed two single malt (vienna) brews a week ago. In the fermenter they look very different.

image-3803065315.jpg

The one on the left I mashed for 60 minutes, checked for conversion with iodine then drained and sparged into the boil kettle. I didn't start heating until sparging was complete.
The one on the right I mashed for 90 minutes but started heating the first runnings while sparging. I batch sparged both brews.
Boiled both for 60 minutes, chilled through my cfc then pitched us-05 into them.

The mash times, and early heating and hop types are really the only difference between the two brews.
Why do they look so different?

A week in the fermenter and the one on the left has me worried.

image-2514004395.jpg

After agitation.......

image-241821507.jpg

It was the first brewed that day.
Possibly it picked up something from my cfc?
Can somebody talk me off the ledge or confirm my suspicion ?

Looks like the carboy on the left simply has more suspended yeast.

Every ferment is a little different, yeast work on their own time. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Home Brew mobile app

If I'm remembering correctly, I think longer mashes can lead to a more fermentable wort, which could explain why the one on the right is showing more yeast activity. The color could be due to a number of reasons. Maybe the longer mash time somehow effected the color, but I doubt it. Could be that heating the wort while draining may have led to some caramelization, but I don't think that's likely. I would bet it has more to do with the yeast activity. Wait until fermentation is complete, then compare the colors.

Back