Diagnosing a possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdaytoday

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time telling whether I have an infection or it's all in my head.

I kegged a batch of NEIPA on Thursday while I was brewing my next batch (also NEIPA). I put the grains from this second batch on the compost pile but by Saturday they were smelling foul and I spent some time bagging them to eliminate the smell. Saturday night I poured a pint of batch #1 and the taste kept reminding me of the repulsive smell of the grains from batch #2. I had been tasting batch #1 for several days out of my sample port and really liked it. One possibility is that batch #1 got infected in the keg between Friday night and Saturday night. The other possibility is that I was so repulsed by the smell of the fermenting/composting grains that it has mentally tainted my impression of the similar-recipe first batch.

Relevant facts:

I am fermenting under pressure in a Fermzilla and did a closed transfer to a purged keg. For several days before kegging I had been tasting samples poured under pressure from the Fermzilla through a picnic tap. Each sample of batch #1 tasted great. Not much infection opportunity here. On top of that, the kegging and brewing were done in separate rooms.

Both batches had the same grain bill which was notable only in that both have twice my normal amount of oats (14% vs. 7%).

I've tasted several other commercial canned NEIPAs since Saturday and none evoke the bad taste/smell I remember from the compost.

The keg was just emptied of its previous batch a couple of days before I transferred batch #1 into it. The keg was always refrigerated, never opened between batches, and rinsed with hot water through in and out ports. I don't think I ran sanitizer through it. Previous batch tasted great thru the end.

This new batch has fermented down to a gravity of 14 and samples tasted for the last few days show no off flavors. Remember, this is the one derived from the grains that ultimately smelled funky.

I've been harvesting yeast from the previous batch's starter. The bad batch is the 2nd generation and the batch just ending fermentation is the 3rd gen.

If it's mental I would expect to get the same reaction from batch #2, but I don't. That leaves the keg as the culprit but the previous batch (i.e. previous to batch #1) tasted great. And isn't it unlikely that 4 gallons of 6.4% ABV NEIPA would become infected in a couple of days, especially at 38deg? A third possibility is the batch was infected early (as early as the fermenter) but I didn't register the flavor as bad until my exposure to the foul composting grains.

Thoughts? Am I missing any other possibilities?

First, if you leave damp spent grains in anything less than a frozen state, they're gonna get stanky in a hurry. Here, in the summer, I leave my spent grains in the garage overnight to cool down before taking them next door for the neighbors chickens, and by that time they're already emanating a righteously offensive odor :) Less acute of a problem in the cooler months - they might make it two days in the garage before announcing they're ready. Which is not to say you don't have a problem with your beer - but just fyi, spent grains stink eventually.

As for what's going on - gotta say, I got lost halfway through. Had a long drive home today and still buzzed, so maybe I'll give it another read tomorrow...

Cheers! (Oh - where are my manners? Welcome to the forums, @brewdaytoday :mug: )

The one time that I positively got an infection was when I rinsed a fresh keg with water and filled it with beer, skipping starsan. It tasted fine, then tasted slightly off, then tasted weird, then tasted flat out horrible over time. I more knowledgeable friend said “I’m going to say one word while you drink this .... rubber band”. It was exactly like chewing a fresh rubber band.

Shortly later it was dumped. The infection wasn’t harmful to drink, it just tasted like rubber band. It would only get worse and never recover no matter how long it was given.

Always sanitize kegs.

Thanks for the welcome day_tripper!

Agreed Jtvann, that's the most likely scenario. Given that the keg wasn't opened after the previous batch I wouldn't have thought there was an infection opportunity. I rinsed it out with tap water (in and out through the out connector) and probably the water (which isn't sanitized) introduced the infection.

I'm so focused on the infection opportunity for sugar-rich wort I let my guard down on the alcoholic, low-sugar beer.

Thanks!

Here, in the summer, I leave my spent grains in the garage overnight to cool down before taking them next door for the neighbors chickens, and by that time they're already emanating a righteously offensive odor :)

+1 like a wet dog almost imediatly, but it's only 9:30 for me and i've only had 16 beers.....still got a few more to go, and notice the increase of oats....i'm waiting for a review of my homemalted oats, but definatly notice them having a distinctive flavor.....i'd describe it as cold brewed oat meal....smells great when boiling...but different when cold....

I don't think I ran sanitizer through it. Previous batch tasted great thru the end.

Even if this wasn't the cause of the bad batch, we should take all possible steps to ensure sanitation. There are so many other factors that can influence how our brews turn out from one batch to the next. The more we can keep our practices consistent from one batch to the next, the easier it will be to identify the culprit when we experience a bad batch.

For kegs, we should rinse and clean with a cleaning agent such as PBW, rinse and then sanitize with Starsan. There is also a process to clean the poppets and dip tube. Not everyone disassembles the poppets and dip tubes after each use, but cleaning and sanitizing the kegs each is time is standard practice.

Here's a link that includes keg cleaning as well as beer line and faucet cleaning.

I'm having a hard time telling whether I have an infection or it's all in my head.

I kegged a batch of NEIPA on Thursday while I was brewing my next batch (also NEIPA). I put the grains from this second batch on the compost pile but by Saturday they were smelling foul and I spent some time bagging them to eliminate the smell. Saturday night I poured a pint of batch #1 and the taste kept reminding me of the repulsive smell of the grains from batch #2. I had been tasting batch #1 for several days out of my sample port and really liked it. One possibility is that batch #1 got infected in the keg between Friday night and Saturday night. The other possibility is that I was so repulsed by the smell of the fermenting/composting grains that it has mentally tainted my impression of the similar-recipe first batch.

Relevant facts:

I am fermenting under pressure in a Fermzilla and did a closed transfer to a purged keg. For several days before kegging I had been tasting samples poured under pressure from the Fermzilla through a picnic tap. Each sample of batch #1 tasted great. Not much infection opportunity here. On top of that, the kegging and brewing were done in separate rooms.

Both batches had the same grain bill which was notable only in that both have twice my normal amount of oats (14% vs. 7%).

I've tasted several other commercial canned NEIPAs since Saturday and none evoke the bad taste/smell I remember from the compost.

The keg was just emptied of its previous batch a couple of days before I transferred batch #1 into it. The keg was always refrigerated, never opened between batches, and rinsed with hot water through in and out ports. I don't think I ran sanitizer through it. Previous batch tasted great thru the end.

This new batch has fermented down to a gravity of 14 and samples tasted for the last few days show no off flavors. Remember, this is the one derived from the grains that ultimately smelled funky.

I've been harvesting yeast from the previous batch's starter. The bad batch is the 2nd generation and the batch just ending fermentation is the 3rd gen.

If it's mental I would expect to get the same reaction from batch #2, but I don't. That leaves the keg as the culprit but the previous batch (i.e. previous to batch #1) tasted great. And isn't it unlikely that 4 gallons of 6.4% ABV NEIPA would become infected in a couple of days, especially at 38deg? A third possibility is the batch was infected early (as early as the fermenter) but I didn't register the flavor as bad until my exposure to the foul composting grains.

Thoughts? Am I missing any other possibilities?
It is tempting and seems harmless to cut corners, and sometimes we get away with it. I have to admit I don’t always ”deep clean“ my kegs (taking the posts off and running a brush through the dip tube) but I always use oxy or pbw to clean and push through some starsan.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the responses!

Another question: What types of infections are known to affect beer in kegs? Given that the alcohol, acidity, low sugar, low oxygen, and low temperature are impediments to microbial growth, what survives this onslaught?

Lots of molds. Don't ask how I know. That's why I run PBW and clean the lines, the kegs, the taps.

In September I brewed a pale ale using fresh (dried) hops from the bines in my backyard. As I normally do I put the spent grains and hops in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a closed lid to dump in the garden the next day. The next day... what a mess on the brewery floor (glad it's a ceramic tile floor). The items in the bucket already began fermenting, pushed up the bucket lid and smelly liquid was on the floor. First time this has ever happened, but lesson learned.

Back