Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
Brewed a marzen with an expected FG of 1.012. Fermented in the mid to upper 40s. Took a hydrometer reading the other day and it was very close to 1.012 so I moved the fermentor to room temp. After 24 hours, I'm still getting bubbling in my blow off tube once about every five seconds. Should I still be seeing such active fermentation during the d-rest? I thought as close as it is to FG, I wouldn't see such activity.

No.
It might drop another point or two, or it might just be releasing CO2 in solution. Let it rest. It's been working hard for you. 😄

Brewed a marzen with an expected FG of 1.012. Fermented in the mid to upper 40s. Took a hydrometer reading the other day and it was very close to 1.012 so I moved the fermentor to room temp. After 24 hours, I'm still getting bubbling in my blow off tube once about every five seconds. Should I still be seeing such active fermentation during the d-rest? I thought as close as it is to FG, I wouldn't see such activity.

You are going to vent some CO2 going from the 40's to room temp.

Didn't mean to alarm you, it's perfectly normal :)

No problem. It's so challenging to ferment lagers without a dedicated refrigerator. I live in pennsylvania and it does get cold enough to use the weather as an advantage (in a garage or cellar), but it's not reliant. I put this marzen in my fridge (low 40s) and fermentation was sluggish. I bumped it up as high as the fridge could go and it got things rolling in the upper 40s. Been about two weeks since I brewed it.

You may get your off flavors due to the low temps early on..... Most of the work occurred already and no ill affects should occur. The yeast will likely clean itself up at this point. The bubbling is likely the co2 coming out of solution... Cold liquid will hold co2 in solution better than liquid at room temps.... Think of a can of soda.... If you shake up 2 cans one ice cold and the other room temp.... Which is going to give you the most fizz

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah I may have started the fermentation a little too cold. However, I have tasted some and it doesn't seem to be off.

Back