Diacetyl rest Timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I read in How to Brew that jonh said to do a Diacetyl rest when you have 2 to 5 gravity points away from your final gravity. So I am assuming I am taking hydrometer samples so how many days would I want to wait before I start taking samples?

I usually just do my d-rest between 7-10 days, depending on how the krausen is doing. I don't check gravity or anything. Honestly, I dont think it matters as long as primary fermentation seems to be complete.

Some people actually don't even do one and report good results...play around with it and see how it goes!!!

You only do a diacetyl rest if you have diacetyl. Pull a gravity sample at day 7 and taste it when you have read the hydrometer. If you have diacetyl, warm the beer to help the yeast digest it. There will be plenty of yeast in the beer to finish that job for several days after final gravity is reached too so the timing isn't very critical.

Back