Diacetyl Rest Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmo

Reaction score
I brewed a lager (WPL 800) and pils (WPL 840) last Saturday (4/16), pitched the yeast Sunday morning. The lager lag time was about 9 hours while the pils was about 28 hours. It's been fermenting at 50-55 degrees.

I haven't taken a reading but assuming everything is fermenting in typical fashion, is there any reason I can't transfer to secondary before the diacetyl rest? I plan to transfer on 4/27 (10 days after pitching). Or alternatively, how far away from my FG can I be to safely attempt the rest on the 25th (8 days after pitching) and then transfer on the 27th?

Due to my circumstances, I don't have many other options - the beer has got to be ready to sit for 4 weeks on the 27th. I will however, be able to have someone change the temperature after the 27th.

I'm no expert, but to me I would think that you would want to leave it in primary for the diacetyl rest since the rest if for the yeast to clean up all the off flavors. I'm currently doing my diacetyl rest in primary. I had it in there for about 3 weeks now.

Latest posts

Back