Diacetyl or Hop Flavor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
As is my usual way, I just tasted my latest batch after 1 week in the bottle ( like to taste the bier at it's diff. stages to learn about what it "should" be doing, this is the first time with this experience).

The bier is an Am. Amber Ale fermented with US-05, OG - 1.056, & dry hopped with Ahtanum. Also used kent golding and Ahtanum flavor/aroma additions.

At tasting it had a distinct buttery sweet flavor. I've never tasted diacetyl before and assume this flavor is it or atleast close. I'll know more in a few weeks when I taste again/start drinking.

Wondered what y'alls thoughts are as I'm unfamiliar with Ahtanum hops and was led to believe they had a distinct grapefruit flavor, more forward than Cascade (I quote midwest.com).... I get NO grapefruit flavor. So this is either diacetyl or the hops? My ferm temps were very well controlled between 63-67 degrees. Same temps as I've used in the past on bier of this size with no diacetyl/other off flavors from yeast stress...

Hmmmm inquiring minds want to know!

Schlante,
Phillip

I don't know much about the Ahtanum hop other than it is used in one or 2 Stone Brewery Ales. I wouldn't think it would taste buttery. I think you have some very young beer and the sweetness and possibly some of the other flavor will diminish as the remaining yeast consumes the priming sugar.

Too easy...diacytl is what flavors a lot of microwave popcorn.

I was at the Dragon Mead in Warren, MI once and the coworker have some wine that tasted that way. I had never had it in a wine before and was really surprised. And, no, I did not like it. Yech!! :mad:

While I was sampling my wife popped in on me, over at the neighbors house. She doesn't like bier at all, I asked her to sample and she said she didn't need to, it smelled like butterscotch/butter. Anyway I misposted the og. was 1.054, There should have been nothing to stress the yeast into this so I'm hoping it's just a byproduct of still converting sugars during the bottle conditioning phase... only time will tell. I suppose I was hoping someone would say... Oh yea I hate those hops just because of that or some such. I'm getting NO grapefruit aroma/flavor from 3 full ounces of this hop... Hmmmmm.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Schlante,
Phillip

Let those beers sit somewhere that it's at least 70 degrees. Give them a good 3-4 weeks and then re-taste.

Warming beer up during later stages of fermentation is the most common method for ridding Diacetyl.

Hopefully there is sufficient yeast in your bottles to accomplish the same thing.

Let those beers sit somewhere that it's at least 70 degrees. Give them a good 3-4 weeks and then re-taste.

Warming beer up during later stages of fermentation is the most common method for ridding Diacetyl.

Hopefully there is sufficient yeast in your bottles to accomplish the same thing.

to quote a commercial, Yes.

;)
Phillip

Latest posts

Back