Diacetyl Cover Up???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbrews

Reaction score
I brewed a beer for a friend's wedding party that has a diacetyl problem and he wants to serve it tonight. I would rather dump it but I am just hoping to make the best of this situation.

The beer is quite hoppy so the diacetyl is not crazy overpowering but it is definitely there and just muddles the whole flavor profile. It also has some citrus in it.

My question is - does anybody have any suggestions for something to add to the beer to cut the diacetyl flavor? It would have to be something to just pour into the keg at this point. I am pretty desperate so even just some ideas are welcome!

That's rough in such short order...Normally I would say add some active yeast and let them do their thing to clean things up, but you don't have that luxury of time. Sweet citrus hop character is nicely balanced with some dank hops like CTZ or Apollo so, depending on the style, an idea might be to slam it with dry hops of those nature in hopes they balance (and cover up to some degree) the diacetyl's buttery richness with the harsh dankness. I would try to use whole hops in a hop sack, get a good purge on the keg, then agitate it to get as much extraction in as short a time as possible. Anyway, that is about all I can think of to help in such short order, good luck.

Many people would not notice the flaw unless pointed out. Or know what diacetyl tastes like and why it is unwanted in beer. Good god, they drink Coors Light or Corona.

I'm surprised the hoppiness doesn't cover most of it up already. Dry hop some more perhaps (Cascade, Amarillo).

Many people would not notice the flaw unless pointed out. Or know what diacetyl tastes like and why it is unwanted in beer. Good god, they drink Coors Light or Corona.

I'm surprised the hoppiness doesn't cover most of it up already. Dry hop some more perhaps (Cascade, Amarillo).

usually i can get my diacetyl to settle out it just takes a little aging before bottling and it mellows but i see you don't have time so i would recommend making a hop tea since you need it soon! the taste is different something you can acquire a taste for. i made a batch with s04 and it had this issue by the end of the five gallons although different i started to really like it.

Label it as a Butterscotch Pale ;) Maybe add a touch of bourbon or vanilla or something. Islandlizard is right though, most won't notice it. To me, Bud is an acetaldehyde bomb and the masses drink that no problem.

Depending on how prominant it is, I agree that most people won't pick it out. However, if it is prominent, I would disagree with cascade, amarillo, and the like as they have sort of sweetness to them that might enhance the diacetyl to a certain level, which is why I pointed towards the dank hops in hopes of bringing a balance. But, I'm shooting from the hip too :).

I would not serve the immature beer. I would get a corny keg filled at a local brewpub and serve that instead (it is a wedding so why not?). Unless you have a few extra kegs of personal home-brew laying around?
Then make up a starter of yeast and pitch that in your buttery beer and let the yeast gobble that stuff up. Later when all is squared away with the brew, break it out for an impromptu party.

Label it as a Butterscotch Pale ;) Maybe add a touch of bourbon or vanilla or something. Islandlizard is right though, most won't notice it. To me, Bud is an acetaldehyde bomb and the masses drink that no problem.

interestingly, although bud is used as a tasting example of acetaldehyde, it doesn't actually have that particular fault. the bud yeast produces a noticable level of an apple ester (ethyl heptanoate?) that is easily mistaken for acetaldehyde.

Latest posts

Back