Diabetic beer recipe/process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A guy I work with is Diabetic, but loves beer. The residual sugars/high carbs in beer completely mess him up, though. So I was thinking of ways to make a low-carb beer that he could drink.

Ideas I had so far:

LOW mash temp. Try to keep it just about 147* so the wort is highly fermentable. I know the beer might turn out thin, and malto-dex is out. So how do I combat the thinness?

Highly attenuating yeast. Something like 001 that ferments out completely.

Adjuncts. Would the rice additions help? they might be a problem if they don't ferment out the whole way.

Which base malt? I'd like to get a bit of flavor in there, but I don't want to add a bunch of carbs. Vienna or maybe MO, but would regular pils be better?

Help a guy out. He LOVES beer, but just can't drink it. I'm hoping I can help.

B

As a diabetic for 24 years, I've never (and I mean never) had an issue with beer affecting glucose levels, and a fellow brewer/diabetic friend of mine in San Diego hasn't either. I don't want to jump on the guy, but is he in control of his blood sugar levels?

A few brews shouldn't mess any diabetic up too much...tell him to look into getting an insulin pump if he's got any kind of decent insurance (would recommend Animas or Minimed-Medtronic). If he's not up to it, there's a ton of options for carrying insulin & syringes with you on the road. Better to go prepared & enjoy the full extent of beerology than worry about carb counting.

My FIL has diabetes now and this thought process has crossed my mind as well. I looked into all kinds of stuff, using Amylase Enzymes and everything else. At the end of the day I decided I was not qualified to make what could be a potentially life treating batch of beer and call it "safe for a diabetic".

Please let me know what your experiments reveal as I would be very interested to know...

Back