DH: Floating...will i get anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
Well, this is my first time dryhopping, and i guess i underestimated the bouyancy of hops. They are in cheesecloth to aid in removal, with weight added, but apparently not enough. Will I get any aroma at all? Or will they possibly sink after some time has passed?

Thanks

place them in a cheese cloth with some marbles or nuts and bolts and use a stick to punch then down. After a while they should become immersed.
I prefer marbles as they are easier to sanitize then nuts and bolts.

I dry hopped my IPA with one ounce of pellet hops. I didn't use a hop bag. Probably a little over half of it sank by the time I was ready to bottle, and the rest sank when I moved it to the counter for bottling. I had to wait a couple hours for them to sink and I found one or two hop particles in the bottles I didn't cold condition for long enough, but otherwise it was fine and had good hop aroma IMO.

I personally prefer not to use pellets when dry hopping for that reason. Its hard to get a clean product as they dont work well with a grain bag

Ok thanks guys. I do have weight in the bag, so I guess theyll probly sink in time. I will be purchasing leaf hops for DH in the future, but for now pellets is what I have.

I've used pellets and leaf hops for dryhopping and have never weighted down the bags, just let them float around. Every beer I've dryhopped has had awesome aroma.

I dry hopped with pellets and no bag a few times and didn't like the leafy bits that made its way into the bottles. So I've ben using muslin bags with a stainless cow magnet from ebay for weight. Works great and as a side benefit, you get to own cow magnets! N_G

i used to put the pellets in a bag w/ a sanitized shot glass, but now i just throw the pellets in loose. i do cold crash before i bottle though.

I also dry-hop with pellets and cold-crash. On my last brew, an IPA with a hefty dose of dry-hops, I added gelatin after a few day in cold-crash, and I have a very clear brew coming out of the tap.

I DH in the keg with leaf hops in a muslim bag, with no weight. They never sink, but I get lots of aroma.

Back