DH: Floating...will i get anything?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
Well, this is my first time dryhopping, and i guess i underestimated the bouyancy of hops. They are in cheesecloth to aid in removal, with weight added, but apparently not enough. Will I get any aroma at all? Or will they possibly sink after some time has passed?

Thanks

JewBrew

Reaction score
place them in a cheese cloth with some marbles or nuts and bolts and use a stick to punch then down. After a while they should become immersed.
I prefer marbles as they are easier to sanitize then nuts and bolts.

slowbie

Reaction score
I dry hopped my IPA with one ounce of pellet hops. I didn't use a hop bag. Probably a little over half of it sank by the time I was ready to bottle, and the rest sank when I moved it to the counter for bottling. I had to wait a couple hours for them to sink and I found one or two hop particles in the bottles I didn't cold condition for long enough, but otherwise it was fine and had good hop aroma IMO.

JewBrew

Reaction score
I personally prefer not to use pellets when dry hopping for that reason. Its hard to get a clean product as they dont work well with a grain bag

OP
J

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. I do have weight in the bag, so I guess theyll probly sink in time. I will be purchasing leaf hops for DH in the future, but for now pellets is what I have.

Myke_J

Reaction score
I've used pellets and leaf hops for dryhopping and have never weighted down the bags, just let them float around. Every beer I've dryhopped has had awesome aroma.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I dry hopped with pellets and no bag a few times and didn't like the leafy bits that made its way into the bottles. So I've ben using muslin bags with a stainless cow magnet from ebay for weight. Works great and as a side benefit, you get to own cow magnets! N_G

bosco_NJ

Reaction score
i used to put the pellets in a bag w/ a sanitized shot glass, but now i just throw the pellets in loose. i do cold crash before i bottle though.

OP
J

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
K thanks again for all the tips. Guess ill just have to try it different ways and see what i like

jeffmeh

Reaction score
I also dry-hop with pellets and cold-crash. On my last brew, an IPA with a hefty dose of dry-hops, I added gelatin after a few day in cold-crash, and I have a very clear brew coming out of the tap.

carp

Reaction score
I DH in the keg with leaf hops in a muslim bag, with no weight. They never sink, but I get lots of aroma.