DFH 120min IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanZ

Reaction score
so just bought a bottle....I am very new to brewing and want to know about it

it has such a strong caramel taste, and in intensely sweet

I could drink it all day long, but why is it so sweet?

it's amazing by the way...

BryanZ said:
so just bought a bottle....I am very new to brewing and want to know about it

it has such a strong caramel taste, and in intensely sweet

I could drink it all day long, but why is it so sweet?

it's amazing by the way...

It's a super-high gravity brew...as they add more malt to raise the OG, both the fermentable and unfermentable sugars in the wort will increase. I think that's why it's so sweet- the fermentable sugars turn to alcohol, and the unfermentable sugars are left in the beer. DFH implies it's good for aging. I have a bottle sitting in my "cellar" now that's just over a year old, I'm going to see how long I CAN age it! DFH has a number of somewhat ridiculously high gravity beers. They will also tell you how many calories in each, if you really want to know...one 12oz of 120m has 450 calories!!

I couldn't drink it all day, it's 20% ABV!

http://www.dogfish.com

I found the 120m to be far too sweet for my liking. The first time I had it, I was expecting an EXTREMELY hoppy beer. The aroma is certainly there (thats why its a 120) but I didn't get much of a balance out of it.

NoClueBrewMaster said:
I found the 120m to be far too sweet for my liking. The first time I had it, I was expecting an EXTREMELY hoppy beer. The aroma is certainly there (thats why its a 120) but I didn't get much of a balance out of it.

Yeah, I wouldn't call this a balanced beer at all! The 90m is much more balanced.
I think some of their other high-grav beers are right on though.

chthonik said:
Yeah, I wouldn't call this a balanced beer at all! The 90m is much more balanced.
I think some of their other high-grav beers are right on though.

90m is right on, one of my favorite IPA's!

I love the 90 and the 60, but I was very let down with the 120. Considering you can get 4 90s or 6 60s for the price of a 120, I will probably never try it again.

although 120 is very sweet. I really like the sweetness, it seems to balance alcohol taste a bit.

I think I read somewhere that 120 finishes areound 1.060 SG. I have a love/hate relationship with DFH. I do not care much for 120. I seemed to have gotten several bad bottles of 60 and 90, which is wierd since I live close to the brewery (although it really is more effected by the distributor than the brewer).

Back