Dextrose vs DME weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll start a Coopers Irish Stout tonight and I require 500g of Dextrose and another 500g of DME. Since I wanted more dextrose for priming, I bought a 1.2 KG bag.

I don't have any scales at home to properly check the weight. I was wondering if both DME and Dextrose had about the same weight so I can simply fill the DME jar with Dextrose to obtain my required quantity ?

Thanks

If you're using Cooper's you could always add all the DME and Dextrose to the beer and use their priming drops. I always do. It takes a little longer but you always get the right amount in each bottle. I found that a little extra DME or LME is needed with the kits too.

weight is weight...500g is 500g...although their volume may be different the weight's the same. ;)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial post but this is exactly my question. Would I get about 500g if I fill the DME pot (that is filled with 500g of powder) with the exact volume of dextrose ?

I'm not at home to do this for you so the answer is still open.

Many brewers use 3/4 C corn sugar to prime with, but I always insist that sugar can compress. When compressed you are actually using more than necessary which is why I use weight. ;)

Back