Dextrin Malt and Maltodextrins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Malt

Reaction score
I have read some interesting posts here about dextrin malts and maltodextrin. I am not sure there is a clear understanding of what these brewing materials are and what they provide to the home brewer. As someone who has been involved in brewing for many years, I maybe able to help understand these materials better. What is your understanding of what these materials are and what they add to the beer or the processing of the beer?

Dr Malt :mug:

is maltodextrine powder the same as carapils? like dme is to 2row? how much maltodextrine powder do you want to use for every pound of carapils in a recipe?

Bobby M - Thanks for the suggestion. I will check into do that.

Maltodextrin is a powder derived from purified starch. It consist of short branched chains of glucose that are not affected by yeast to break the down to digestible glucose. Because of this, they remain in the beer providing body to the beer and enhance foam. Maltodextrin comes in several types based on the size of the branched chains and residual clucose content ad a "DE" number or "dextrose equivalence".

CaraPils is one brand of what is referred to as a "dextrin" malt. It supposely contains higher dextrin content due to the way it is processed. Whether it does contain added dextrins is questionable as the malts referred to as dextrin malts do not provide any analysis on the dextrin (or maltodextrin) content. It is an under modified malt and does contain higher glucan. Both dextrins and glucans add body to the beer so it results in the same effect.

How much maltodextrin equals 1 lb of CaraPils?? No real good way to tell as the dextrin content of CaraPils is unknown. The 4 oz per lb is as good as any, but I doubt CaraPils contains 4 oz of maltodextrin.

Dr Malt

Back