Devil's Ale Clone - SanTan Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggy1289

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could take a quick peek at my recipe and tell me if you think the proportions are right? I'm trying to make a Devil's Ale clone (SanTan Brewing Co.) and I formulated this recipe based off of their description and the list of ingredients on their website.

Here's the description of the original

and here's my recipe and comparison..

My ABV - 5.5
Devil's Ale ABV - 5.5

My IBU - 43
Devil's Ale IBU - 45

RECIPE:
(80%) 9.5 lbs rahr 2-row
(6%) 3/4 lb crystal 80
(6%) 3/4 lb munich
(4%) 1/2 lb roasted barley
(4%) 1/2 lb vienna

1oz simcoe @ 45 mins (bittering)
1/4 oz cascade @ 20 mins (flavoring - citrus floral character should match)
1/4 oz centennial @ 5 mins (aroma)

American Ale Yeast

Mash 60 mins @ 152

Does this sound pretty close? Do my proportions sound correct?

Yes I did. It turned out pretty good. Somewhat close to Devils ale although it was not as malt forward as Devils ale. It seemed a little dull compared to it but it was a nice pale ale and my wife liked it. She always says I'm too judgmental of my beers but I say that's how I'm gonna get better. But it was a good beer and I think it's a good starting point for refinement! Give it a shot I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Yes I did. It turned out pretty good. Somewhat close to Devils ale although it was not as malt forward as Devils ale. It seemed a little dull compared to it but it was a nice pale ale and my wife liked it. She always says I'm too judgmental of my beers but I say that's how I'm gonna get better. But it was a good beer and I think it's a good starting point for refinement! Give it a shot I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to start making lower ABV brews so I may give it a try but with a few changes; lower the ABV (4-4.5ish), bump up the Munich %, mash higher (158ish?), and maybe use Wyeast 1968 (less attenuating). Same here, I'm a bit critical of my beers.

Cheers,
Robert

I'm also curious about this one. I'm in Az having a few of these this week. I noticed that you didnt put any wheat in it. That might help your malt profile/mouthfeel. Also, what if you bittered with Centennial, Cascade in the middle, and simcoe at the end? I've always thought that most websites list hops from bittering addition to aroma. I could be wrong, and thats a total guess. Thoughts?

I'm also curious about this one. I'm in Az having a few of these this week. I noticed that you didnt put any wheat in it. That might help your malt profile/mouthfeel. Also, what if you bittered with Centennial, Cascade in the middle, and simcoe at the end? I've always thought that most websites list hops from bittering addition to aroma. I could be wrong, and thats a total guess. Thoughts?

as a matter of fact I did change the recipe around a little in beer smith and here's what I came up with based on the taste test last time:

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.4 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.8 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4 6.8 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5 4.6 %
3.2 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [0.10 12 oz] Yeast 11 -

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 20.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 8 11.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 12.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

My understanding of simcoe is that it's a dual purpose hop, for bittering and aroma, but I decided to go for bittering because of the high AA's and this beer has an IBU rating of like 45 which is high for a pale ale. but I want more of the cascade flavor to come through. not sure if I'm gonna be able to even taste the 1 ounce of hops?

for cascade and centennial I think both of those are interchangeable. I believe cascade has a more citrus and floral hop character and that's What I wanted to go for based on the description of Devil's ale on their website. they even say the favor comes from centennial and cascade hops.

The flavoring hops go somewhere in the middle, and the aroma hops are at the very end or dry hopped.

Here's the description of this beer on the SanTan website: devils ale
and also a helpful hop chart: hop guide

Hey Guys! Also from AZ. I'm brewing this beer today. Using Wiggy1289's newer second recipe. Although I am using US-05 ale yeast instead. Also added a little Citra to go with the Centennial for dry hop. I will let you know how it turns out.

I tried Galactic IPA from San TAN called Moon Juice....that stuff is fricken great. I love the combination of the Galaxy and Nelson-Sauvin hops together. I will have to make a brew with those hops involved.

Back