Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered this recipe into the Brewmasters Warehouse recipe database for ease of ordering. It is located under Belgian Specialty ale. I also entered in Saccharomyces Belgian Pale Ale (with credit of course) that I'm using for my starter.

Is there an official signup sheet to make sure I'm included in the swap?

Tonedef, I think you can get it to fully attenuate either way...but it will taste less 'alcohol hot' if you feed it in the fermenter. That's the main reason I plan to feed it in the fermenter...just because it should taste better.
I went ahead and added it to the boil. I didn't do the recipe in this thread I was just doing a standard 1.080 BGS and it finished at 1.008. So attenuation at that level wasn't an issue but we will see how the final flavor is.

So I brewed up a nice Belgian Pale Ale as a starter for this brew. It came out great and is on tap now. The recipe was created by Saccharomyces and can be found here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/belgian-pale-ale-117569/

I brewed the BGSA on 8/9/09. Tonight I transferred it to secondary and it has dropped to 1.006! :rockin:

My OG was 1.064 before the 3lbs of sugar, which should have put the "OG" up to 1.085. That results in the brew being 10.2%. I calculated the grain bill so I would get 10% ABV. I'm stoked that it came so close! The hydro sample is pretty tasty for being flat and young. It's going to be hard to wait a whole year for this one!

Any tips for bottling? Some have suggested carbonating high, but is that only for kegs? And yes I will become a full member soon...

Any tips for bottling? Some have suggested carbonating high, but is that only for kegs? And yes I will become a full member soon...

I know the style guidlines say high carbonation, but not really in relation to what. When I go to the bottle priming calculator at tastybrew it suggests the range for Belgian Strong Golden Ale is 1.9 to 2.4 volumes (average 2.15 volumes) which would be low for most american styles but high compared may English/Scottish ales. If you use the tastybrew numbers bottles should be fine. I've seen lots of folks go to 3.2-3.5 range in bottles as well.

I think I am in on this one. I just brewed a Belgian Dark Strong this past weekend. This seems like a good follow up.

Man, I do love some Duvel!

Great name, by the way. Devil May Cry is very fitting.

I am planning to bottle two sets separately. I'm going to try to acquire 6-10 Belgian bottles and prime them at ~4.0 volumes. I will then bottle the rest at ~3.0 volumes in the standard brown bottles.

I'm also planning to do a small starter that I will mix into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, just to make sure there is enough yeast to carbonate the bottles. (I learned my lesson from the 9/9/9 barleywine).

I brewed this 2 weeks ago. The OG was 1.100 without any sucrose. I left it at that and pitched two yeasts: a starter of Wyeast Canadian/Belgian + Fermentis T-58. The starter that my friend made for the brew was too small for such a big beer, so I added the T-58 to get enough cells to ferment it down. I kept the primary in a warm place (probably 76F ambient temp) for 3 days after it began fermenting. Once the bubbling stopped, I put it back in my main beer room.

Gravity right now is 1.012. I'm happy! If i can get it to 1.008 that would be great, but I'm not going to fret.

Mike

Brewed this up today. 1.086, 10 gallons into the fermenters. When the sugar is added (1 lb 12 oz per fermenter) that will bring me up to 1.100 equiv. OG.

Pitched 2L of Flanders Golden Ale starter from the plate into each fermenter at 65*F. I'll let it ride at whatever. We will see how it goes from here...

9 hours, this was a long brew day! Not as long as the 9-9-9 was, but still a long one!

I'm a little behind, Sunday (9/6/09) I brewed 10 gallons of Saccharomyces Belgian Pale Ale with the Flanders Golden Ale yeast to use as a starter for the 10-10-10.

Just curious, what makes the brew day so long?

We just set the date for our wedding. Guess what, its 10-10-10!!!

I'll be brewing this recipe next month and hope to use it for the toast at the reception.

I ordered my ingredients for a starter beer today (belgian pale) and am excited to brew the big fella right around 10.10.10!

I know others have asked this but is there a swap registry thread somewhere?

how would i do an extract, or even partial mash version of this. I really wanna do a Golden Strong since having a Caracole Saxo a few weeks back (which is actually a strong pale). SWMBO loved it. I just don't have the setup to do AG right now, don't know when i'll get to making the jump, but may not be for a while.

thnx

how would i do an extract, or even partial mash version of this. I really wanna do a Golden Strong since having a Caracole Saxo a few weeks back (which is actually a strong pale). SWMBO loved it. I just don't have the setup to do AG right now, don't know when i'll get to making the jump, but may not be for a while.

thnx

Here is a link (PDF) to Ken Schwartz's presentation to the NHC in 1998 on converting a all grain recipe to extract/partial mash. http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Making a Flanders yeast starter tonight. Flying out to Vegas for a few days then should be brewing the 'Enkle' Sunday. Planning a brewday right after returning from Vegas might have been a mistake.:drunk:

I'll be brewing this bad boy up tomorrow and pitching onto the yeast cake from my belgian pale ale made with the flanders golden ale yeast. I'm making a few minor tweaks to the recipe mostly involving hops. I'm FWHing in order to try and preserve a little of the hop flavor through the long aging process. 1 oz of hallertauer and 0.5 oz styrian golding FWH. Then bittering with NB. Another oz of hallertauer at 20 min, half an oz at 5 min and another oz at flameout along with a tiny bit more styrian goldings. Should have the herbal/floral hop flavors going with all that. And I know it's not to style, but I'm playing with the idea of making some of the rose candi syrup from the candi syrup making thread. It shouldn't add any color but I think I'll like the light fruit and vanilla flavors it might bring to the beer. That will be in lieu of the table sugar and added probably around 5 days into the fermentation. And I'll probably adjust the water to the Chimay profile. I always have good results with that one.

EDIT: Light candi syrup rather. It looks like the rose has no flavor other than sweet!:D

Last February I brewed an extract BGSA that was excellent - placed 3rd in a local competition in the Belgian/French Ale category.

8 lbs extra light DME
1 lb light candi sugar
0.3 lb wheat malt
0.1 lb munich malt
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau (1 min)

Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

That was lighter than the 10.10.10. This got me 1.080 OG, so you could easily bump up the DME and candi sugar.

Wow, long brew day. For some reason the sparge was sticking more than I've ever had before. Actually had to dump out into a kettle to check what the problem was. Couldn't find any clogs so I dumped back in and it was still super slow but at least moving. That and the 100 minute mash and 100 minute boil stretched the day out a bit. Boiled down a bit more than I calculated for so I have an OG of 1.090 which doesn't include the candi syrup or table sugar. I was going to add 3 lbs. but that'll get me up way high. Two would still have me pretty high over 1.100. Should I only add enough to get to 1.100 or go ahead and add maybe 2 lbs? I guess higher couldn't hurt. This damn yeast is a monster. It took the Belgian Pale ale I used to build up the yeast from 1.052 down to 1.003 so I'm not worried about getting to the 1.010 FV. I'm just worried that maybe it won't be able to handle the ABV if I add like 2 lbs of sugar. Anyway, the samples tasted as good as something that sweet can taste. So who all has this thing brewed?

Just started this brew day an hour ago and already I'm having issues. I did my inventory two weeks ago and somehow recorded that I had over 2 lb of Munich when I really only had 4.5oz. So now I'm short 7.5oz and either have to find someone from my club who can hook me up or wait until noon to go to the hbs. I really wanted to start early, but there goes that plan. Also my drill would no longer grip my mill handle, it's too warn down. So the last 8 lb had to be ground by hand. That was fun!
Now the waiting game...

Got my Munich nice an early from a club member. Then to add to the fun it started raining 20 min in to my boil!
Rainy-Day-Brews.jpg

Racking the small beer tonight or tomorrow. If there's a lot of hop matter in the trub should I even try to use the slurry? I have a back up plan- I made a starter with dregs from russian rivers damnation. I think ill end up stepping the backup plan into a huge honkin starter and skip the flanders golden this time.

I'll keep this brief - posting from PDA while wife is in surgery for herniated disk.

Brewed 10 gallons last night. Overshot gravity ~1.112(27.8 brix) w/ 4.5# sugar. Split Flanders Golden yeast cake from 5 gallon BPA between the two fermentors.

That Flander's Golden Ale Yeast is crazy. My beer, that started at 1.090 is down to 1.013 right now, 3 days from pitching. I'll be adding homemade light candi syrup made from 2 lbs of sugar tonight which should add some subtle peach/grape and vanilla flavors. I'm afraid this thing is gonna end up below 1.010.

I didn't brew the 'Enkle' until this past Saturday. But I'll just rack it to a secondary keg Friday night and brew the big beer Saturday.

Mine is STILL fermenting... brewed on 9-9. This yeast is acting just like the Duvel strain... fermented like it was going nuts for 4-5 days and then very very slow to finish.
That was how my starter went...I was surprised at how slowly it finished and that was at room temp. I didn't get a 'violent' start on the Enkle (quick start yes, violent no) but it was at about 65-66 F. I def didn't want a blowoff.

I gotta check the gravity on my starter batch. I am not convinced it's really fermenting. I get nasty CO2 burn from the smell, but there is NO airlock activity, and worse yet, after well over a week, the krasuen (or foam) has not fallen.

The recipe is just Pilsner Malt and some hops. I can't see why it would not have fallen already if it's either foam or Krausen. Guess I better sanitize the hydrometer tonight and see what's going on. I really want to brew this next weekend, or maybe during this week if possible.

Have you swirled it Homer? Sometimes these top-cropping yeasts can make a REALLY thick, mousse-like krausen. I didn't see that with this Flanders strain but some other Belgian strains I've used have had uber-thick krausen. Could it be that it's just too thick to fall?

This flander's golden ale yeast is continuing to impress me. I pitched onto a partial cake of yeast from a belgian pale and it took my gravity from 1.090 to 1.013 in less than three days. Then I added candi syrup made from 2 lbs of cane sugar, which would have made my theoretical OG 1.108. I just tested the gravity tonight, 1.008. This stuff is a monster. I should have mashed higher. I was worried it would poop out at 12% ABV like wyeast said but I'm at 13.13% right now. Wonder if it will keep going?! I just hope it saves a little something to carb those bottles! By the way, it tastes great, amazingly enough. Definitely boozy, but not in a harsh fusely way. It's more a warm your throat and stomach like whisky alcohol heat. Aroma and flavor again have that wonderful floral, fruity, perfumy character the pale ale had from the yeast. And even with the high bitterness and dry FV, there is still a wonderful malty sweetness coming through. I know I say this every time but I can't wait for this one to get bottled and aged!

Have you swirled it Homer? Sometimes these top-cropping yeasts can make a REALLY thick, mousse-like krausen. I didn't see that with this Flanders strain but some other Belgian strains I've used have had uber-thick krausen. Could it be that it's just too thick to fall?

I checked it last night and it was def fermented! I got a reading of 1.010 on the hydro. I've never seen it so thick on top before.

After I put the lid back on a swirled it real good to stir it up and get the yeast going some more. This weekend I'll transfer to secondary and start getting ready for the big beer.

Almost forgot to order my ingredients again!

I brewed my version a little over a month ago and finally got it into bottles last night. I also finally became a full member today so that I can participate in the swap next year!

This was my biggest beer ever by O.G. (1.095) and by volume (6 gallons).

My wort actually started at ~1.071, after fermentation got rolling I added 1 lb of boiled table sugar every 24 hours for 3 days. This should have been equivalent to an O.G. of ~1.095. My F.G. at bottling was ~1.009 which means that the beer is >11.5% A.B.V.!

It tasted damn good too, although with a surprisingly sweet, residual sugar taste even after finishing quite dry in terms of gravity. I wonder if that will settle out with age?

I received my ingredients yesterday. If everything works out, I will brew next weekend.

Did anyone boil the sugar additions?

Back