"Devasting" Sunday afternoon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
I ordered the Double Chocolate Stout from AHS a couple weeks ago and it came in early last week. I didnt have any time last week or weekend to make it so I was going to Sunday when I got home from church and before we ate dinner with my father in law for fathers day.

I had everything cleaned and ready to go so I could do it right away. I was feeling good all morning, very excited to make another batch. Its been 2 months since I started a batch so I was anxious.

Got home and found that my lab and gotten up on the counter and eaten my grain bag......................:mad:

She ripped it out of the plastic bag and ran it through the kitchen and living room. I was PISSED, but I guess in a way it was my fault. She had does this once before with my dad who had left his brewing "stuff" out and she got into it. So knowing that I push it to the back of the counter. Apparently thought she can reach the back now.

Took me about an hr to clean up, and then call AHS and see if they can see me another grain bag, which of course they could, because they are awesome and we open, not only on a Sunday but also Fathers Day. So I wont be able to do anything about it now, but I guess I can next weekend.

And of course I grabbed a home brewed beer, sat down on the couch and she looked at me with those big dog eyes and I couldnt stay mad at her.

I ordered the Double Chocolate Stout from AHS a couple weeks ago and it came in early last week. I didnt have any time last week or weekend to make it so I was going to Sunday when I got home from church and before we ate dinner with my father in law for fathers day.

I had everything cleaned and ready to go so I could do it right away. I was feeling good all morning, very excited to make another batch. Its been 2 months since I started a batch so I was anxious.

Got home and found that my lab and gotten up on the counter and eaten my grain bag......................:mad:

She ripped it out of the plastic bag and ran it through the kitchen and living room. I was PISSED, but I guess in a way it was my fault. She had does this once before with my dad who had left his brewing "stuff" out and she got into it. So knowing that I push it to the back of the counter. Apparently thought she can reach the back now.

Took me about an hr to clean up, and then call AHS and see if they can see me another grain bag, which of course they could, because they are awesome and we open, not only on a Sunday but also Fathers Day. So I wont be able to do anything about it now, but I guess I can next weekend.

And of course I grabbed a home brewed beer, sat down on the couch and she looked at me with those big dog eyes and I couldnt stay mad at her.

Dude that sucks. Just be careful with the hops. Hops kill dogs. No joke. If they eat them, they can die. I'm not talking like chocolate. I'm talking some form of hypothermic shock as I recall. I had a buddy whose dog died from it.

Dude that sucks. Just be careful with the hops. Hops kill dogs. No joke. If they eat them, they can die. I'm not talking like chocolate. I'm talking some form of hypothermic shock as I recall. I had a buddy whose dog died from it.

Wow good to know... I was planning on growing hops, but maybe not if I can't keep them away from the dogs.

Hops kill dogs. No joke. If they eat them, they can die. I'm not talking like chocolate. I'm talking some form of hypothermic shock as I recall. I had a buddy whose dog died from it.

Wow! I had never heard this. I'll make sure I keep them away from my dog too!

Sorry to hear about your brew day. Glad your pipeline was full though, so you were able to RDWHAHB!

malignant hyperthermia

Wow good to know... I was planning on growing hops, but maybe not if I can't keep them away from the dogs.

I just read about hop toxicity and dogs yesterday before brewing, kind of by chance. Since our cocker, Lady, wants to hang around whoever is doing the most interesting thing at the time it was kind of shocking to read that hops are that deadly to dogs.

The good news is, Dogs GENERALLY don't have an interest in hops on the vine or hops in general. However, after they have been covered in sweet wort for a while your dog might take an interest. Dispose of your discarded hops / trub down the drain or in a garbage can where your dog can't get to them and you should be fine.

I had no idea about hops being deadly to dogs! Too bad about your grain but at least he didnt eat through your wall or pull up your kitchen floor like my sweet lab did (and like you those sad brown eyes you just cant stay mad at !)

I just got a lab/boxer mix about 6 weeks ago, awesome dog. She has been a terror though destroying anything in her path. She has destroyed several of my plants in my veggie garden, tore my sprinkler wiring apart, eaten her plastic food bowl, ripped two fence boards apart, and dug several holes. So far the fence around my hop garden is standing strong, and I do not let her in my garage (where I brew) unless she is tied to her leash. Most of this happened the last 2 weeks when she was in heat. I had no idea a dog could be more emotional than my wife :cross: Time to get her fixed.

I just got a lab/boxer mix about 6 weeks ago, awesome dog. She has been a terror though destroying anything in her path. She has destroyed several of my plants in my veggie garden, tore my sprinkler wiring apart, eaten her plastic food bowl, ripped two fence boards apart, and dug several holes. So far the fence around my hop garden is standing strong, and I do not let her in my garage (where I brew) unless she is tied to her leash. Most of this happened the last 2 weeks when she was in heat. I had no idea a dog could be more emotional than my wife :cross: Time to get her fixed.

And this is an awesome dog?????? Just giving you are hard time. I have 2 dogs and love them to death. It's amazing what we let our "best friend" get away with. Just have to be careful of the the hops we drop.

Yeah really. I punish her and 2 seconds later she is following me wagging her tail. You just can't stay mad long at all. I am always careful to sweep up well after brewing.

I have a dog and grow hops, she has no interest in the ones on the vine or harvested ones, just if they are covered in wort. She does like to pee on the base of the vines though.

Either call the Dog Whisper or get rid of her before she really pisses you off. Oh, if it's only when she's in heat, yea get her fixed. This comes from a dog lover :0)

Wow, scary stuff, though it sounds like not all dogs would be susceptible, I'd hate to find out.
http://www.bme.ogi.edu/~ericwan/DOG/hops.html

:off:
Lots of chew toys! Peanut butter in kongs also keeps them busy for an hour or two but their (bully breeds in particular) jaw needs constant activity. Our pit bull would chew for hours when he was younger.

Either call the Dog Whisper or get rid of her before she really pisses you off. Oh, if it's only when she's in heat, yea get her fixed. This comes from a dog lover :0)

Yeah she was pretty good before she went into heat, so I'm hoping she calms down a bit when I get her fixed. She now has a huge stash of chew toys to choose from! I seem to have her digging under control so I don't think I have to worry to much about my hops or other plants. I'll keep the fence around my hops though, I don't want to take any chances with her getting to them and getting sick.

bob barker called, he's pissed...

images

Latest posts

Back