Determining diastatic power of a grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how you determine the diastatic power of a grain bill, so is this correct?

Say you have a recipe that had this as the grain bill (example only):

80% 2-row malt
10% Munich malt
10% chocolate malt

The approx. degrees Lintner on the 2-row is 110, the Munich is 40, and the chocolate is 0. Would the whole grain bill's DP be based on percentage, making this whole grain bill have a DP of 92 degrees Lintner? I have read that you need at least approximately 40 degrees Lintner in the entire grain bill for proper conversion.

Good question. I think that in general it is a loose relationship and there seems to be no available information outside of what the breweries have access to. I have asked this question and it gets really rough when you start looking at the diastatic powers of foreign malts. The best thing to do is make sure you always have something that is high in a good percentage and there should always be sufficient dp to convert.

8 x 110 = 880/10 = 88

1 x 40 = 40/10 = 4

1 x 0 = 0/10 = 0

88 + 4 + 0 = 92 dp

I believe 30-40'ish dp is the minimum for full conversion

jager said:
8 x 110 = 880/10 = 88

1 x 40 = 40/10 = 4

1 x 0 = 0/10 = 0

88 + 4 + 0 = 92 dp

I believe 30-40'ish dp is the minimum for full conversion

Do you have a source for this? I searched all over for explanations.

Back