Dessert beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotaBrewMaster

Reaction score
I've noticed that most sweet of the sweet beers out there are usually higher abv stouts and porters, aka milk stouts cream stouts, southern tiers crem brûlée, etc. has anyone ever considered brewing a lighter dessert style beer like say a "snicker doodle" beer that's maybe an American style pale ale or amber ale? Also was trying to figure out a way to add sweetness to a beer without just over fermenting or adding fruit. Adding additional sugar during any part of the process would just result In that sugar being fermented right? Unless maybe you strain yeast out completely after fermentation is complete, add sugary flavoring and force carbonated? A few friends of mine were debating this issue, but I'm the only home brewer in the bunch and an amateur at that. Any input on how to make a beer sweet?

There is only one way that I know of and that's to add unfermentable sugar. The most common one used in beer is lactose, that's why stouts with lactose added are called milk stouts. Other unfermentable sugars come from carmalization, so all your Crystal, and Special B, and Cara- grains will add some sweetness. Something else to consider is aroma. I've had Southern Tier Cream Brulee as well and I don't remember it being very sweet. I do remember it having probably the most incredible aroma I've ever smelled from a beer.

sweetness in a beer can only come from the following

unfermentable sugars, which come from a higher mash temp, highly modified malts, or additives such as lactose or maltodextrin

a yeast that will eat less sugars: IE a lower attenuating yeast.

Thats it..basically more sugar is left when the yeast have run their course. Adding more simple sugars later will just get the yeast going again.

I suppose bitterness is also worth talking about...the more malt and hop bitterness present in the beer the less sweet it will taste, and the converse is true.

Back