Desperately trying to find way to connect wort chiller to sink...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micfiygd

Reaction score
So I recently moved to a new apartment and my kitchen sink faucet does not have a standard garden hose attachment.

The sink in question is this http://www.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Fairbury-Single-Handle-Pull-Down-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet-in-Chrome-4005F/100684612#specifications

I have tried going to the hardware store to find an adapter that will go from a garden hose to what I can only assume is a proprietary size. The size is somewhere in between 3/8 and 1/4 but quite frankly I'm not sure any size will actually work based on the threading on the other sink end.

What other options do I have? I have been dying to brew but I just can't figure out a way to connect my wort chiller to a water source....

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

Sounds like you are willing to take things apart. Look under the sink and see if you can connect to something down there?

Also, try the bathroom sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a friend who had the same kind of problem. He ended up adding a valve under the sink. That's probably the easiest thing to do if you are handy. The specialty sinks don't usually come with the hose connections. I hope this helps.

SteveG

Yeah I have one like that in my apartment. Now I just fill my mash tun with ice water and use a submersible pump I got for like 20 bucks on amazon to use that water. Actually more effective for me here in the south.

You can probably take the end off and secure some silicone tubing with a hose clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Or, if you want to go the overkill route, get a small sump pump. Fill the sink with water, turn on the pump, and go for it. The benefit here is that you can also dump ice into the sink and recirculate the ice water once the temperature drops a little. I need to do this because my tap water is rather warm...

Or, if you want to go the overkill route, get a small sump pump. Fill the sink with water, turn on the pump, and go for it. The benefit here is that you can also dump ice into the sink and recirculate the ice water once the temperature drops a little. I need to do this because my tap water is rather warm...

We do this in a 5 gallon bucket with a pond pump - they're pretty inexpensive at places like OSH or Home Depot.

We use ice water. Works great, and not a lot of wasted water that way. What we collect in the bucket, we water the outdoor plants with the next day when the ice is all melted.

The threads on many of the handheld sprayers like you have are frequently proprietary. Don't spend too much time trying to find an adapter.

Just connect to the angle stop (valve) under the sink. If it is modern odds are it has 3/8" compression threads but it could be 1/2" comp. or 1/2" NPT too, the hose going to the faucet may even have a label still on it that you can read. You'd need to get a tee, a hose to connect the tee to the angle stop, a valve to thread on to the tee, and a quick disconnect or thread adapter to connect your wort chiller too. This is a pretty easy DIY that won't permanently alter your apartment and you can probably use it in the future elsewhere.

Alternatively you can probably connect your wort chiller to the laundry's water supply with a normal garden hose if you don't mind connecting/disconnecting it every time you brew.

I used to take head off and attach silicon tubing over the hose a few inches down. It will leak a little bit, but it worked well.

This is exactly what I have to do until I buy a new faucet. It's easy and doesn't affect the chiller really.

Try either a water bed store or a pet store. Either will have and adapter for filling or draining from your kitchen sink. You just unscrew the aerator and screw on their adapter and hook up a standard water hose.

HTH

Try either a water bed store or a pet store. Either will have and adapter for filling or draining from your kitchen sink. You just unscrew the aerator and screw on their adapter and hook up a standard water hose.

HTH

If it's anything like mine it's a weird sized faucet with the aerator off. I tried everything and nothing fits right.

That's always possible but they usually have several different threaded fittings to choose from with the adapter.

I had a sink with a nonstandard thread once. I went to a plumbing supple store (not lowes or HD, a specialty store). Told them the brand of sink I had. They ordered me an adapter to standard thread. I think it cost me about $10.

I also needed it because my dishwasher connects to the faucet (the joys of old houses).

I have one of those 'rubber bells' that fits over the faucet (snug enough) and reduces down to fit the chiller. I'll try to get a pic.

20200222_064854.jpg
20200222_064843.jpg

I rarely use that rubber attachment shown above. Not that it didn't work with connection and leaks, just that ground water here is never really cold. Even today, dead of winter it's only down to 59. So I use a pond pump in an ice bucket. If you think that rubber bell shaped thingy would work for you, I can send it to you. Otherwise, it was pretty cheap at Lowes.

Take off your aerator and bring to Lowes. They put a card with different screw fittings on it in the plumbing section. See if you can find the thread size using it.

Personally I added a cheap faucet to my utility sink in the garage. I primarily use it for a bottle washer but I had the correct adapter to fit the faucet to make the switch to garden hose (GH) threads. The cheap faucet I bought though did not state the correct thread type in the description and used NPT threads instead of the shutoff thread style (flare I think) on the supply side.

I don't know what it's called. I'll check their web site.

Ha. Thanks, but don't spend your time. I can search around website. And may just go wander store over lunch.

I found a black pvc coupling that may work. I essentially just need something to fit over 1.75 inch faucet head and 1.25 inch hose connecter.

The problem is/was my sink sprayer head. It doesn't unscrew, detach or have any standard connection point. This works because the coupling just goes over the whole sprayer head. Takes about 10 seconds to attach and tighten down. It leaks a bit, but just into the sink and still plenty of pressure to push water through the wort chiller. It will work and allows me to use the most convenient water source instead of lugging hot kettle around or running laughably long hose lines from another sink 20 feet away.

Ha. Correction. After looking at my own photo, I realized the sprayer head does unscrew just above the sprayer cone. I bet the adapter from your picture would work and I'll look for one at HD or Lowes. Thanks!

I use this, got it in the gardening section. Made by a company called Gardena , Works well takes a standard hose fitting although I just have the tube cable tied on and it copes fine with the pressure for the condenser and the counterflow chiller.
IMG_20210513_095633.jpg

I'd highly recommend going under the sink and just hooking on where the faucet feed line connects to the plumbing. If you do it a lot you can even replumb it with a T fitting and a separate ball valve where you can connect your chiller with whatever method you want.

If you want to go that route, send a pic of what you've got under the sink and I"ll make you a part list.

Ha. Correction. After looking at my own photo, I realized the sprayer head does unscrew just above the sprayer cone. I bet the adapter from your picture would work and I'll look for one at HD or Lowes. Thanks!
I got lucky when I went to Home Depot and the Home Depot employee was a former plumber

Fountain pump and a bucket. Cheap, easy, and effective.

But the above part that worked for me $4. Not sure you could even get the bucket for that. =c)

I did consider it though so that I could use ice cold water. But ultimately decided I would rather not have two more pieces of equipment to deal with on brew day. Still may try it at some point though.

Back