desparate plumbing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_guy_dave

Reaction score
HELP! Daughter sold her house and is moving in 2 days. Final walk-through with the buyers is the same day. She just removed a shower caddy which was attached to the shower wall and found a bad stain on the wall. Can't get it off.

My idea is to let the buyers see it and if it is an issue, offer cash to replace the tub/surround. Anybody have any idea what this might cost to do.

I know this is a stupid place to ask this, but desparate times call for desparate measures.

Thanks is advance.

Dave

You can also try some rubbing compound if tile, or if plastic the headlight restorer or scratch remover for a car.

I'm with the Magic Eraser!!!! Psych is right it works for ANYTHING!!!!!
Ask my wife
Cheers!

That wasn't derogatory toward my wife!!! I know there are sensitive people on here!!! She swears by them (Magic Erasers) and wouldn't care if I used her as a reference!

Thanks for the suggestions. SWMBO and I ae heading to daughters' house in the AM to head up project shower stall. My thought is that I'll get so frustrated trying to clean it that I'll find a way to ruin it. That's kinda why I was wondering what it would cost to replace. I just hope this doesn't kill the sale agreement. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Dave

beer_guy_dave said:
Thanks for the suggestions. SWMBO and I ae heading to daughters' house in the AM to head up project shower stall. My thought is that I'll get so frustrated trying to clean it that I'll find a way to ruin it. That's kinda why I was wondering what it would cost to replace. I just hope this doesn't kill the sale agreement. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Dave

Depends on the quality - using a bath fitter company is $3000 - 4000. A decent surround from home depot could be 500-1000 but maybe cheaper. If its a decent surround it may not be a stain - a solution of baking soda and water may work, or PBW (test in inconspicuous area first!!!)

Make sure when you're cleaning to use something that's acrylic safe - should be on the bottle of cleaner.

brewguyver,

at the risk of sounding stupid, what is PBW?

Dave
by the way, I'm right up the road in Butler

Powdered Brewery Wash or something, I think? It's like a cleaner for kettles and stuff. Might be the 'pink stuff' you see in homebrew stores, but I may be wrong on that.

Seriously? The people are buying a "used" house ad a small spot in the shower is not the biggest issue they would be concerned about and if they tried to negotiate something out of that then they are a$$holes!

When you remove furniture there's discoloration, basically when you remove everything there's more than that like spots and dirt on walls and spiders and things you never noticed.

It is a beer forum so RDWHAHB:D

Yeah, I know. Not really a plumbing issue. But it could have been if the surround had to be replaced (faucets would have been removed, at least temporarily).Good news is that the stain is now gone. And the winner is----------Pet Stain with Oxy. After using every kind of cleaner they had, they tried the Pet Stain (the kind you use to get dog pee out of carpets). They sprayed it on and covered with a paper towel and let stand 5-10 min, the n repeat x 4 or 5. Shazaam- no more stain!! Thanks for the help everyone.

Congrats! PBW is powdered brewery wash by five star (same co. that makes San star). It's like a more effective version of oxyclean - will get just about anything off with a 30 minute soak. I use it for plastic fermenters to clean off dried krausen, to clean brew kettles, and to take char of gas stove grates. It'll also spit-shine copper pipes in 30 min or less.

As a side note, anything with "pet stains" on it will generally clean anything!

Plumber by trade too...yep, hear it all the time- "That costs how much!?"...."I was thinkin it'd be half that" haha

The thing is it would probably be close to "half that"... if they did it themselves... the problem is most don't know how to do it themselves! :D

I hate plumbing. If I need to replace a trap, there is never a part available to connect what I have to the new part, so I end up ripping out half the plumbing in the damn house before its over. I don't even hassle with it anymore.

Key concept with *good* plumbers - you're not paying $300 for the 60 minutes of work - you're paying for the 20 years it took to get a days worth of work to 60 minutes and to have it done right.

Any idea what the stain is or what caused it?

If the rack was metal and the stain is from rust there is a rust remover I use in a brown bottle and man oh man will that get the rust out of just about anything. (acid based all kind of nasty warnings about invisible burns and the like)

If it is mold base, I've only had moderate luck with that staining.

Latest posts

Back