Desktop computer fan wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinocook

Reaction score
Hey question about using desktop computer fans for circulating air in a fermentation cabinet.

I don't have one yet so I can't even look at it to see if I can tell by looking at it, but can you run regular household current to it? 110v? or is there a transformer of sorts in a computer that steps it down for the fan?

as you can tell, electrical is not my thing really, other than simple wiring, so I was wondering if I can use these in my cabinet with no special wiring?

Thoughts form anyone that uses them would be great. Thanks

In general the fan you're going to find for your computer is going to run on DC. The current coming from your wall is going to be AC. You've likely seen converters and not even known it, wall warts, also known as phone chargers are generally converting AC to DC.

The amount of power necessary to run your fan will vary based on the fan itself, this is a popular one used for stir plates, and needs about 3.5V-5.5v DC to operate.

Most fans in your computer run on a 12v DC source, but pull very little amps but no you cannot just plug one into your wall and expect it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general the fan you're going to find for your computer is going to run on DC. The current coming from your wall is going to be AC. You've likely seen converters and not even known it, wall warts, also known as phone chargers are generally converting AC to DC.

The amount of power necessary to run your fan will vary based on the fan itself, this is a popular one used for stir plates, and needs about 3.5V-5.5v DC to operate.

Most fans in your computer run on a 12v DC source, but pull very little amps but no you cannot just plug one into your wall and expect it to work.

Right, I figured as much. Now to find a fan with the converter I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back