Deschutes Pinedrops All Grain Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpizzy

Reaction score
Just got back from a great trip to the PNW. I had the pleasure of trying a ridiculous number of amazing beers, one of which wasDeschutes Pinedrops. Has anyone tried to clone this?

So far, I know that they use Nugget, Northern Brewer, Chinook, Centennial, and Equinox hops.

While hops are important, I'm even more concerned with nailing the grain bill and yeast, since I think I'll use this info as a base for my most recent harvest of cascade hops. I know it won't taste exactly like Pinedrops, but I'm not usually one for doing straight clones in the first place.

Based on the few samples I had, I would guess that the predominant base malt is almost definitely pilsner. I'm thinking that quite a bite of the piney bite is coming from the malt, an idea that I'm really digging for my next brew. I did a quick look around the interwebs and saw 85% pils, 8% 40l crystal, and 7% munich - sounds reasonable.

For yeast, I'm guessing something really clean - Chico / WLP001 / US 05 / 1056 yeast (on a side note, anyone have a good, readily-available bottle source? Maybe Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?). For the sake of conversation, the only clone recipe I was able to find utilized Safale 04. I think I'd like to go with the aforementioned Cali yeast since my last several IPA's have used fruitier English style ale yeasts and I'm looking to change it up.

A few other specs: 6.5% abv, 70 IBU. Crisp but not super dry.

Cheers

Apparently, I'm blind and missed the most important part of the post above.

Per the website, the beer uses pilsner, pale, munich, crystal, and carapils. I was going to add some pale to the recipe regardless, so this is good news.

Any idea of the %s?

My rough initial estimate using beersmith is pilsner (69.0%), pale (20.7%), and munich, cara 40, and carapils at 3.4% apiece.

More info as I continue to navigate the website:

OG 1.060-1.065
FG 1.010-1.015
90 min boil
Ferm temp 65
English Ale Yeast

Just found this beer at the local craft beer place, subscribing to hear how your recipe build goes!

Fresh Squeezed is much better, in my opinion. I had both side by side, Fresh Squeezed stood out.

Deschutes has their own yeast so you won't get exactly what they have but I have heard it is close to Ringwood...Wyeast 1187/WLP005. I have also heard that it is close to WLP002/Wyeast 1968. I've used 1968 a few times and really like it. Does well in the Zombie Dust clone.

As far as their grain bill...I know they use a lot of different malts in their beers. Looks like you found their homebrew recipe section on the website. That is a good place to start. There is a thread somewhere for a Red Chair clone and the grains used in the clone mirror what they posted online. I haven't brewed the clone so I can't say how close it really is but posters in that thread deem it close. Not sure if that thread would help any as it is a different beer but it might be worth looking through for some general information about Deschutes beers. Good luck!

Deschutes has their own yeast so you won't get exactly what they have but I have heard it is close to Ringwood...Wyeast 1187/WLP005. I have also heard that it is close to WLP002/Wyeast 1968. I've used 1968 a few times and really like it. Does well in the Zombie Dust clone.

As far as their grain bill...I know they use a lot of different malts in their beers. Looks like you found their homebrew recipe section on the website. That is a good place to start. There is a thread somewhere for a Red Chair clone and the grains used in the clone mirror what they posted online. I haven't brewed the clone so I can't say how close it really is but posters in that thread deem it close. Not sure if that thread would help any as it is a different beer but it might be worth looking through for some general information about Deschutes beers. Good luck!

Where is the "Homebrew" section on their website? I looked around but couldn't find it.

Where is the "Homebrew" section on their website? I looked around but couldn't find it.

Sorry to kind of lead you astray...it isn't really a 'section' per say. You have to click on the beer you are interested in. From there, you scroll down the page past the food recipes. Close to the bottom you will see a ribbon that has Recipes, Awards and Homebrew. Not all the beers have a homebrew tab though.

Back