Denver Visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVM71

Reaction score
Heading to Denver in November for an Avs game and going to have a full day to stroll around the downtown area (LoDo). Anyone live in that area or have been there that has any recommendations? I've already scouted a bunch of the brewpubs in that area and looking forward to visiting most of them.

:mug:

What types of beers do you enjoy? Off the top of my head, here are some places in/near downtown that I would recommend:

1. Great Divide (in my opinion, the best overall brewery in Denver)
2. Epic (based in Utah, but the Denver satallite brewery and tasting room is great)
3. Crooked Stave for sours, Brett beers
4. Falling Rock Tap House (not a brewery, but probably the best tap list in the city)
5. Amato's Ale House (great views of the city, good food, nice tap list of all Colorado beers)

I could keep going. :)

What types of beers do you enjoy? Off the top of my head, here are some places in/near downtown that I would recommend:

1. Great Divide (in my opinion, the best overall brewery in Denver)
2. Epic (based in Utah, but the Denver satallite brewery and tasting room is great)
3. Crooked Stave for sours, Brett beers
4. Falling Rock Tap House (not a brewery, but probably the best tap list in the city)
5. Amato's Ale House (great views of the city, good food, nice tap list of all Colorado beers)

I could keep going. :)

I do have Great Divide and Falling Rock on my list but will check into the others. Thanks.

If you like IPAs, you've gotta check out Comrade Brewing. Their Superpower IPA is really, really good. The rest of their lineup (or what I've tried, anyhow) is solid too. Only downside is that it's not downtown. Probably a 15 minute drive (give or take) from LoDo.

Right now we're looking at:
Great Divide
Breckenridge
Jagged Mountain
Falling Rock
Rock Bottom
Wynkoop

Great Divide
Breckenridge
Jagged Mountain
Falling Rock
Rock Bottom
Wynkoop

Here is a resource for you.

http://www.fermentedlychallenged.com/p/denver-area-breweries-map.html

There are a few newer ones i haven't hit yet that i hear are doing good beer - Mockery & Ratio in the RiNo area specifically.

Breckenridge's main place has moved way south of town, but they still have a brewpub near the ballpark. Here is the summary I usually give out when someone asks:

I would recommend the ones I’ve bolded.

These 2 are little out from the others and not easily walked to - I'd Uber or cab if you plan on drinking a bunch.
Crooked Stave – sour / brett beers – 33rd and Brighton in the Source building
Black Shirt Brewing – 37th and walnut

These are 2-3 blocks apart from each other, so easy to grab a beer or 2 at each and head to the next one. The main issue might be getting food at most of these - they mostly do Food Trucks.

Epic – 30th and Walnut
Our Mutual Friend – 28th and Larimer
River North – 24th and blake
Great Divide – 22nd and Arapahoe
Blue Moon at the Sandlot – 21st and blake – part of Coors Field (not sure hours now)
NOT A BREWERY – Falling Rock Tap House – 50+ taps and food
Jagged Mt – 20th and Lawrence
Wynkoop – 18th and Wynkoop

These 2 are also apart from the others;
Denver Beer Company – 17th and Platte -
Prost – 20th and Central (across I-25) - good German style brewery
NOT A BREWERY, but lots of taps and good food. – Ale House at Amatos – 16th and Central

Here is a resource for you.

http://www.fermentedlychallenged.com/p/denver-area-breweries-map.html

There are a few newer ones i haven't hit yet that i hear are doing good beer - Mockery & Ratio in the RiNo area specifically.

Breckenridge's main place has moved way south of town, but they still have a brewpub near the ballpark. Here is the summary I usually give out when someone asks:

I would recommend the ones I’ve bolded.

These 2 are little out from the others and not easily walked to - I'd Uber or cab if you plan on drinking a bunch.
Crooked Stave – sour / brett beers – 33rd and Brighton in the Source building
Black Shirt Brewing – 37th and walnut

These are 2-3 blocks apart from each other, so easy to grab a beer or 2 at each and head to the next one. The main issue might be getting food at most of these - they mostly do Food Trucks.

Epic – 30th and Walnut
Our Mutual Friend – 28th and Larimer
River North – 24th and blake
Great Divide – 22nd and Arapahoe
Blue Moon at the Sandlot – 21st and blake – part of Coors Field (not sure hours now)
NOT A BREWERY – Falling Rock Tap House – 50+ taps and food
Jagged Mt – 20th and Lawrence
Wynkoop – 18th and Wynkoop

These 2 are also apart from the others;
Denver Beer Company – 17th and Platte -
Prost – 20th and Central (across I-25) - good German style brewery
NOT A BREWERY, but lots of taps and good food. – Ale House at Amatos – 16th and Central

Good list...thanks.

Second recommendation for Amatos and I may see about hitting that up before the game on Friday night. Saturday I was figuring on getting a shuttle up to the ballpark and hitting the ones there, then working back down towards our hotel, which is close to the Pepsi Center.

Good list...thanks.

Second recommendation for Amatos and I may see about hitting that up before the game on Friday night. Saturday I was figuring on getting a shuttle up to the ballpark and hitting the ones there, then working back down towards our hotel, which is close to the Pepsi Center.

I forgot about this place that is a tap house and brewery. Just opened 3 weeks ago. It is right across the street from Pepsi Center. Their beer is ok, but they have 50 taps of CO breweries to choose from.

http://tivolibrewingco.com/tap-room/

I forgot about this place that is a tap house and brewery. Just opened 3 weeks ago. It is right across the street from Pepsi Center. Their beer is ok, but they have 50 taps of CO breweries to choose from.

http://tivolibrewingco.com/tap-room/

We're staying at the SpringHill Suites right there so that works out perfectly. Thanks for the heads up.

Great Divide
Breckenridge
Jagged Mountain
Falling Rock
Rock Bottom
Wynkoop

This is purely just my opinion, but from your list, I would remove Jagged Mountain (just wasn't impressed) and Rockbottom (nothing redeeming here). Maybe even Breckenridge (more average beers than good). You can do better close to LoDo, again, in my opinion. Alternatives that I would recommend above those 3:

- Ratio Beer Works
- The Sandlot at Coors Field (people associate this with Coors, but The Sandlot has won a ton of medals at the GABF over the years. They do good work.
- Denver Beer Company
- Prost

Again, take that for what it's worth. Just my personal opinion.

This is purely just my opinion, but from your list, I would remove Jagged Mountain (just wasn't impressed) and Rockbottom (nothing redeeming here). Maybe even Breckenridge (more average beers than good). You can do better close to LoDo, again, in my opinion. Alternatives that I would recommend above those 3:

- Ratio Beer Works
- The Sandlot at Coors Field (people associate this with Coors, but The Sandlot has won a ton of medals at the GABF over the years. They do good work.
- Denver Beer Company
- Prost

Again, take that for what it's worth. Just my personal opinion.

Forgot that Sandlot was on my list since we're starting up that way. I did see Prost and Denver Beer so they may be options as well.

Thanks

If you don't like sour beers I would skip crooked stave (that's all they have). If you like sours, definitely go there.

Falling rock has a great tap list and decent pub grub. Freshcraft has good taps and great food. Star Bar is a dive-ish bar, but can have some surprising bottle on their list.

Otherwise, I think you're getting some good recommendations here.

Aside from just being a brewery Wynkoop is an excellent place to eat. The building is amazing and accommodates a lot of people, plus the food is great and naturally the beer is too. I spent a lot of time just walking through the building looking at the old architecture and admiring the place. I would highly recommend planning to eat there as opposed to just stopping in for beer.

A few I hit a couple years ago when I was in town:

Breckenridge
Wynkoop
Great Divide
Copper Kettle (a ways from downtown, but worth the trip just for the awesome Mexican chocolate stout)

Also tried Pint's Pub, but every beer was a diacetyl bomb.

River North Brewing is going to be on your way to Crooked Stave and is small, but tasty. Again only go to Crooked Stave if you like sours. I don't know when exactly it will be done but The Source is going to have some other breweries in it.

Ratio is also seconded and Rockbottom, Breck, and Jagged seconded not to go to.

I would also look into heading to Our Mutual Friend, especially if heading to Ratio. I liked it much better that Ratio (not that it was bad) and they are about two minutes walking from each other on Larimer St.

Oh I also think Wynkoops makes some of the worst beer in Denver, but go anyways and prove me wrong. I have just never been impressed. DBC is ok as well, but nothing usually impresses me there.

My top 5 list would be:

Crooked Stave (I love sours)
Great Divide
Our Mutual Friend
River North
Prost/Ratio (Only go to Prost if you like German beers)

Back