Denver Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The family and I are heading to Denver in July and I am looking to try some new beers. I see that there are many breweries to choose from. Any recommendations on what not to miss? The wife and I will be in Breckenridge for four days and am looking forward to hitting the breweries up there as well. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Well, there is no shortage thats for sure. Depends on what you like. I like odyssey Beer works for their rum barrel sour, four noses for their bourbon stout, hogs head for their cask beers, and de steeg for its unique styles. So many other good ones, these are close to me though. A lot of breweries around here are the standard pale ale, red ale, ipa, stout, maybe a belgian style, but the ones above have some different stuff than the norm IMO.

I did a week vacation in Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins. In Denver, Epic and Crooked Stave were my two favorites. You really can't go wrong though, I'll have to check my untappd to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Crooked Stave is a must if you enjoy sours. I also enjoyed River North, and Epic. If you get up to Fort Collins, check out Funkwerks and Odell(Many beers in tap room that you wont find anywhere else...).

Just north of Boulder, Avery just build a new brewery. I haven't visited the new brewery yet but in the old brewery, they especially brewed up "one of a kind" beers for their tap room only.

As mentioned earlier...Epic has a great tap room, Crooked Stave(if you like sours, they're all sour), Prost does all German styles, Great Divide is definitely worth a visit, River North does some really interesting Belgian inspired stuff...and these are just the ones that are all downtown'ish. If you're venturing out a little bit, Yak & Yeti in Arvada is a brewpub with Indian cuisine. Wit's End, Strange, Copper Kettle, Comrade are all great breweries as well. Dry Dock in aurora is worth a visit too; it's adjoining a homebrew store called the Brew Hut so you can grab a pint (finally allowed) and walk into the homebrew store.

As for non breweries...Falling Rock and Freshcraft are great places to go too. Falling Rock has an obscene amount of beers and Freshcraft has some great food and a stellar tap list as well.

Hogs head. That was my first and second favorite. I also enjoyed our mutual friend Brewery.

Cooper Kettle, Great Divide, Epic, and De Steeg are on my list, the mother in law lives in Aurora. I am investigating the others. I assume all of these fine establishments fill growlers. Are any of them the type of places that only fill their own growlers? In AK, they fill any growler, I have been reading that some places will only fill their namesake growlers.

Just north of Boulder, Avery just build a new brewery. I haven't visited the new brewery yet but in the old brewery, they especially brewed up "one of a kind" beers for their tap room only.

Avery was awesome. The new brewery is really nice and their taproom exclusive beers are awesome.

Today is the last day of our drinking through Denver trip. We have hit 13 breweries so far, with three to go today. So far the highlights have been finding Pliny at the Cheeky Monk, not a brewery, but I wanted to try it, and Epic. The biggest disappointment has been Mutual Friend, their beers just seemed a bit off. It is crazy that a bunch of the places that we have been are less than a year old. Heading back to pick up regulator from CO Brew today, no shipping charge to AK that way. What a great concept CO Brew has! Off to get breakfast in anticipation of a third day of drinking. Cheers

In a town called Windsor just outside Ft. Collins there is Big Beaver brewing company. The beer is good the atmosphere is best plus you can get a good laugh out of the names of the beers. The beer "Her Stage Name is Amber" is my favorite.

Today is the last day of our drinking through Denver trip. We have hit 13 breweries so far, with three to go today. So far the highlights have been finding Pliny at the Cheeky Monk, not a brewery, but I wanted to try it, and Epic. The biggest disappointment has been Mutual Friend, their beers just seemed a bit off. It is crazy that a bunch of the places that we have been are less than a year old. Heading back to pick up regulator from CO Brew today, no shipping charge to AK that way. What a great concept CO Brew has! Off to get breakfast in anticipation of a third day of drinking. Cheers

not sure if it's on your list, but a stop at River North is worth it. I assume you hit Lost Highway since you went to the cheeky monk.

River North was fantastic (great twists on Belgium styles) and yes, Lost Highway was hit. Funny, I did not expect the altitude to effect my drinking, but I realized early that the choice to have flights was a good one. Tonight I am drinking Dank IPA, Dude's Brews, rather tasty. Off to the MIL's tomorrow for some of the other member of the family, the hop family.

Back