Dented my Better Bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmuggs

Reaction score
I just recently switched over from using glass carboys to Better Bottles. I'm not exactly sure how I did this but I dented my 6 gallon Better Bottle! I noticed it after I racked my last batch into it after chilling. I didnt want to do anything right then so I decided to let primary fermentation finish. I just racked out to a secondary and am surveying the damage. I was hoping that the dents would have popped back without creases but that isn't the case. Pictures below. I am thinking of just using it again but in the back of my mind I'll be thinking about that crease :(

Anyone else have this happen?

bb_1.jpg

bb_2.jpg

wow. never had that happen...but i can say this with confidence. If that was a glass carboy, you would be picking up pieces when you got home from the ER

That's odd. I'd use it, myself. But I can't give you that advice. It would suck to ruin a batch of beer because of a little ole dent. Can you tell if it caused any surface damage to the bottle where it might trap bacteria/infection?

That's odd. I'd use it, myself. But I can't give you that advice. It would suck to ruin a batch of beer because of a little ole dent. Can you tell if it caused any surface damage to the bottle where it might trap bacteria/infection?

Not really since its at the bottom, but I can certainly feel a crease from the outside.

Keep using it. Just clean the trub out immediately after use.

Yea you really need to make sure you scrub that a lot on the inside with a brush before use each time now.

You really do not want to use a brush on plastic, you will scratch the crap out of it.

I have a crease on the bottom of one of mine like that, but it looks more like a crack or gash on the inside. I am not sure what caused and I am not going to use it again. I emailed back and forth with the BB people, there only guess was a too aggressive cleaning weakened the plastic. I don't know and the lack of an explanation does not have me running out to buy another.

Try filling it with boiling water. You can also call BB in Wilmette IL to see what they suggest. Montanaandy

My 3 gallon better bottle fell off a shelf (empty), and landed right on one corner. I was surprised to see it dent inwards, given how light the whole vessel is. I managed to pop it partially back out with my mash paddle, but there is still a small crease there. Haven't had any problems.

I set my hot water heater set to HOT after coming back from vacation (it has a vacation setting)... and it comes out at over 150 degrees. I set it down to WARM and now it's at a balmy 126.

I wrote to BB and they said "read the directions moron"... in a nutshell. Plain as day they indicate the top temperature as 140.

If you're bent on trying to push the dent out, maybe you could try fermenting a beer with a closed stopper and no airlock until it pops out, if it does.

Or you could put your rubber stopper in and push some compressed air into it. 90 psi should do the trick!!

"I wrote to BB and they said "read the directions moron"... in a nutshell. Plain as day they indicate the top temperature as 140"

Plain as day where? Oh yeah, in microscopic print on the BB which states "-30 to -60 C'" and not F' (nice CYA BB). While most of the time the temp of liquid stored in the BB will be 70' F and below for fermenting, what about when you are cleaning them out? My tankless heater is set at 120' F but I can calibrate that to less than +/- 1'. Many tank water heaters are not so nimble. The BB's should be able to withstand higher temps than 140' F. Montanaandy

Pooh My bad I must not have been detailed enough or you were being a dick. Either way, if you use your air compressor and it is set where it should be it is 90 psi. Now if you put a rubber stopper in the end and used the blow gun, hitting the trigger a few time it will build up pressure inside of the plastic causing it to pop the dent out. Without turning it into a bomb! Just like crushing a 2 liter plastic soda bottle and blowing air into it, it will fill back up and remove the dents.

How hot was your wort when you dumped it into the BB?

Initially 76 degrees then down to 64. I think this might have happened when I rocked the BB around before pitchng to add O2. But it wasn't violent shaking or anything. I almost think it was due to reverse pressure. Next time I will make sure my O2 bottle is full.

This happened when u were shaking it, it happened to me. Next time place the carboy on a tennis ball when shaking or aerating.

Put hot tap water in it an do as others have suggested with carboy cap and compressed air.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine when I was shaking it to aerate. I threw a paper towl in there & poked it back out best I could with a broom handle. It's still a little dented though.

I've used it several times since and haven't noticed any issues during fermentation.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a bit hesitant to use it again as a fermenter. So... I've decided to cut the bottom out, turn it upside down and use it as a new grain mill hopper instead of the funnel I am using now! hah I'll consider this lesson learned.

So... I finally got around to making the BB hopper (much the same as a few others on here, except the having to use a BB part ;)) after the holidays and this is what I ended up with:

mill_hopper_1.jpg

mill_hopper_2.jpg

I'll probably make something more permanent to hold the hopper in place instead of using a clamp in the future but it works for now.

"I wrote to BB and they said "read the directions moron"... in a nutshell. Plain as day they indicate the top temperature as 140"

Plain as day where? Oh yeah, in microscopic print on the BB which states "-30 to -60 C'" and not F' (nice CYA BB). While most of the time the temp of liquid stored in the BB will be 70' F and below for fermenting, what about when you are cleaning them out? My tankless heater is set at 120' F but I can calibrate that to less than +/- 1'. Many tank water heaters are not so nimble. The BB's should be able to withstand higher temps than 140' F. Montanaandy

A Better Bottle is made of PETE, which is used because it has all the great qualities specified (see BB web site). However, a characteristic of PETE is that it will only withstand temperatures up to 140F, and since this is a characteristic of the material, it's something you have to live with.

If more temperature resistance is desired, I suggest just a plain 'ol "Ale Pail" for fermentation (it's what I use) or a Winpack (I prefer the products from U.S. Plastics) if you want a closed container. These are constructed of a high density polyethylene (PTFE, I think), which is good to at least 200F, maybe higher:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23285&clickid=redirect

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would be attempting to clean with water over 140F (except obviously in the case cited, where the water heater was turned up inadvertently). This is sort of the safety cutoff: above 140F, water causes burns. Below that, it's safer to use, and it's more economical to run a water heater at a lower temperature in any case.

meh, my first BB developed a crack on the bottom- fortunately while i was soaking it with cleanser instead of beer! My second BB already looks like it is developing hairline cracks in the same lower corner, I'm done with this plastic BS. I've never added hot water or wort to them, just lukewarm water with PBW or oxyclean. I'm currently working on coating some glass carboys with truck bed liner to mitigate any shattering problems, as well as giving me a good grip for cleaning.

First off - I am an ogre (as my wife loves to remind me) so I man handle everything. That being said, one day while soaking a few carboys with wash water after racking I managed to flood my cleaning table. I searched for the source of the leak and found that I had somehow cracked the bottom of one of my BB which resulted in it leaking. So even though they are plastic, don't handle them like an ogre or you will break them.

Mine has been like that for over two years and I still use it all the time. I got mine by putting inside of a bottling bucket with about 3 gallons of water in the BB and forgot about it for a week. The nut from the spigot on the bucket made the bottom cave in a little.

Back