Dented keggle. Will 12 inch false bottom work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
I just started cutting up my keggles and punching holes when I realized that a dent in the bottom of my mash tun doesn't allow for the 14" false bottom to sit "flush" on the bottom of keggle. Will a 12" false bottom work okay in the bottom of these keggles? Or will I be disappointed...? They are standard sanke kegs

Thanks

Can you measure? It seems hard to tell without very good pics.

I am pretty sure a 12'' false bottom would sit flush on the bottom and miss the small dent....I just wasn't sure how critical it was to have a bigger 14''bottom that sits tight in there...like my boil kettle does

I have used a 12" false bottom for almost 20 years. It is just perforated stainless steel sheet with a 3/4" hole in the middle (use a SS washer to close the gap of whatever size dip tube you use). One stuck sparge, on a 60% wheat beer, in all that time and only a few slow sparges.

Keep in mind, you are NOT realistically using any type of moderate to high volume pump when your dead space is measured at little more than a couple of cups. The low volume 24V pump or a severely throttled Chugger would probably work. I personally use none because pumps are for folks that do not understand gravity...or understand it all too well.

Back