Delayed Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nieuwoldm

Reaction score
I half brewed a Smithwicks clone last night that I completely screwed up on the grain bill and now it looks more like Guinness(too much roasted barley and too high crystal).... But that's beside the point. It turned out I didn't have time to boil so I drained into my kettle, put a lid on it and put in the oven for safe keeping overnight. And now the real problem, my starter hasn't really shown any signs of activity(I took SG readings), can I delay the boil another 12 hours or so and still be ok?

:mad:After another hour on the search tab plus the two before I found a post that was mildly helpful. I guess you just need to get half the words in you search to match the post.:mad:

After mashing, you need to bring the wort to a boil right away. Grain is full of lacto, and the lacto will sour the beer if not killed by boiling. If you boil two days later, the lacto will still be killed but by then your wort will already have a sour taste.

Gordon Strong talks about waiting overnight to boil (mashing in the evening, boiling the next day), but he leaves it in the mash tun in the oven at 150. I can't think of a reason why this would be much different. If your oven will maintain a temp below boiling I'd leave it there and wait until your starter's ready.

LKABrewer said:
After mashing, you need to bring the wort to a boil right away. Grain is full of lacto, and the lacto will sour the beer if not killed by boiling. If you boil two days later, the lacto will still be killed but by then your wort will already have a sour taste.

I'm not sure if it'll be as prone to souring if it's already been lautered. I recently heard an interview by black star brewery in Austin on the BN. To sour his beer he let the mash sit for something like 24 hours and then sparged. I think being removed from the grain should help keep from souring.

Good luck. I have experimented with this, and the wort WILL sour, even after it is off the grain. What makes one think that you will get all the sugar out of the grain, but none of the lacto?

I ended up boiling late last night and put it in carboy overnight without pitching, and now after 48 hours my starter is fermenting beautifully so I'll probably pitch before i go to work this morning. I didn't detect any off smells or anything so hopefully I'm ok.

Back