delabeling bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly is a bottle bill? I don't think we have such a thing in Florida.

The state charges you a 5 cent deposit per can or bottle upon purchase. And you take them back when you're done to get that deposit back.

The idea is that rather than throwing the can or bottle out your window, you'll keep and return it. I've always lived in Iowa, with the law, so I don't know any different, but it's a real PITA. :mad:

New Glarus (hooray WI) bottles are by far the easiest I've ever delabeled. Soak them in a weak concentration of soap and warm water and they just slide right off. The only thing that came off easier was day-old wheatpasted labels on homebrew.

The state charges you a 5 cent deposit per can or bottle upon purchase. And you take them back when you're done to get that deposit back.

The idea is that rather than throwing the can or bottle out your window, you'll keep and return it. I've always lived in Iowa, with the law, so I don't know any different, but it's a real PITA. :mad:

In Michigan it's 10 cents per bottle or can. You pay it when you buy the bottles, but you get the 10 cents back if you return the empties to a store.

It is a PITA because stores generally will only take back the bottles that they sell. So I can't bring most craft beer bottles back to a big grocery store, because they don't sell that kind of beer..although the bigger grocery stores around here have started to sell more craft beer lately.

It's always so weird to visit my friends out of state..it's like "where do you put your empties? Oh, in the trash?!?" It feels so weird to throw away empty bottles or cans. Pretty much every home here has a designated place to put empties..I have a separate trash can where they gather until I take them back to the store.

That's so weird to me. Always grew up with bottle deposits. Always grew up with a garbage bin, recycling bin, and compost. Even when I head up to the cottage in bfn I still have to sort all my recycling.

Our beer stores take back all alcohol containers, glass, plastic, cardboard tetra packs, cans, aluminum bottles. One stop for all of them. And out on bfn the grocery store is the drop off depot.

The only bottles you don't get a return on are the minibar size bottles.

It's interesting how different places handle waste. We have no bottle deposits, but have a massive recycling program. The only thing that goes in or garbage can is non-recyclable plastics, and any other non-organic waste. All organic waste, from kitchen scrapings to tree limbs goes in a organic waste bin and gets composted. Glass has its own bin, but everything else -paper, cardboard, aluminum, steel cans, plastic bags, plastic bottles and jars, etc, all goes in one bin for recycling. So getting bottles from friends has never been a problem.

Back