Deja Vu all over again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool Hand

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm having the exact same problem with my 2nd brew, an extract kit Irish Stout, that I had with my first brew. After one week in the primary with constant 68F-70F temps my gravity reading is only 1.020. Suggested SG was 1.045 with an actual reading of 1.048. The suggested final gravity is 1.012. This time there were no temperature issues, I aerated the crap out of the brew before I pitched yeast and I had bubbles through the airlock for 3 straight days. Should I pitch another package of yeast (Muntons brewing)??? Would it do any harm??? Last batch I had this problem I chalked it up to being in cool (58F) temps for the first couple of days. After leaving that 1st brew in the primary for 2 weeks I had no real change in my FG. Why can't I hit the Final range?:( P.S. I tasted the sample and man, it was delicious!

Muntons doesn't attenuate very well (although 58% is poor even for Muntons). You might consider re-pitching with Muntons Premium Gold yeast or Nottingham.

Unfortunately all I have is this type of Muntons, I guess this is what I can look forward to with the rest of my brews as well.

Back