Degassing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
if wine is not degassed, either manually or just by setting in a carboy.... what is the result as far as taste? No issues, just asking for knowledge.

CO2 turns into carbonic (or carbolic???) acid when it hits your mouth, making a sharp taste.

It can also cause a bottle to explode, sending glass and wine all over the place.

With my wines I usually just do an open fermentation (cover with cheesecloth or similar) for the most active portion of fermentation so I never have to degas.

Airlock or not, wine has trapped gas in it after primary that slowly comes back out. I suspect your warm California climate helps the CO2 fall out more easily than my frigid Nebraska winters allow.

CO2 creates carbonic acid before it hits the tongue...but you need a fair amount of CO2, rapidly to make that 'bite'. Really you'd be dealing with wine that doesn't want to clear well (many fining agents won't work if the wine is 'fizzy').
You'll also taste the tingle of CO2 on your tongue, which adds an odd mouthfeel to what should be a still wine (it's not gonna be carbed up like beer or champagne)

Also your corks might push out of the bottles, especially synthetic corks.

Failure to degas should never blow apart a bottle...its just not that much pressure.

Back