Deep Six Brewery - back in action!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! The only think I didn't see in is a bathroom in there.

Yeah.. Right now, the plumbing isn't hooked into the sewer. Thought long and hard about putting a urinal in there, but that would take up a bit of floor space that I don't want to give up. Oh well, it is only a 50' walk inside or 20' to the backside of the building.. heh

wow, just... WOW!

And to think I can't even afford a 2 bedroom townhouse out here in Kalifornia. Gonna have to find an aerospace engineering job somewhere where the median home price is less than 1 mil and housing codes allow brewhouses (don't lie, there is no way you can call that awesomeness a mere 'shed').

wow, just... WOW!

And to think I can't even afford a 2 bedroom townhouse out here in Kalifornia. Gonna have to find an aerospace engineering job somewhere where the median home price is less than 1 mil and housing codes allow brewhouses (don't lie, there is no way you can call that awesomeness a mere 'shed').

Hell I own 4 houses in Alameda, from 1905 to 1936 era. The 30 a English style my main 3 bed 2 bath 2,300 sq/ft my legal address. Spanish 2 bed vacant, two as rental income. Retired SSD since age 49. It's kind of hard to hide the aroma of a brewery boiling away in your backyard with close neighbors, not like making "shine" in the woods back east. It's rather tight for space here in Alameda for brewing aromas to drift over into a neighbors yard. I'll get the "what the hell are you doing now?" thing.

I was working on a bike in a friend's garage once and asked where I could take a leak. He pointed to a funnel in the wall over in the corner. This funnel's hose went through a hole in the wall to outside on his neighbor's lawn. HA!

Small update- life got in the way.. work, women, you name it!

The tile floor is down, but I still have to grout:
062510A.jpg

And I got my exhaust fan installed:
062510B.jpg

Looking good. Got a link/model number for the fan? I need a fan that will funnel refrigerated temp air into a fermentation chamber on demand. This looks like it would work good.

Hmmm, I bought a similar fan and was wondering how the heck to wire it. They just attached a metal box right to the fan itself. Sweet, I like it.

Sorry, just saw this.. This summer has been crazy busy, so not all that much has happened, but we have started building the bar. It will have a large keezer built inside it and I guess we'll have to make the bar top removeable to service the keezer.. not ideal but it shouldn't be that big of deal. I'll hopefully have something to show for it in the coming weeks.

As far as the bar top goes.. I think we are going to just use some nice plywood and inlay it with epoxy. I'd like to put a ton of different beer coasters under the epoxy, but haven't had much luck finding a lot of different ones. Anyone have any ideas?

As far as the bar top goes.. I think we are going to just use some nice plywood and inlay it with epoxy. I'd like to put a ton of different beer coasters under the epoxy, but haven't had much luck finding a lot of different ones. Anyone have any ideas?

How about having members of the forum send you coasters from their local pubs? I always grab a few from wherever I go and have a pretty big collection. Plus, a former employer gave me a bunch of British beermats from Epcot. I would totally contribute just to get memorialized in a wicked awesome backyard brewpub like yours.

An FYI - You may want to experiment with a few coasters and a small pour - I think the epoxy will soak into the paper and discolor it before it sets.
I read somewhere that when preserving things in epoxy, you should coat paper products with Elmer's white glue, (perhaps two coats on those thick absorbent edges) and allow to dry.

An FYI - You may want to experiment with a few coasters and a small pour - I think the epoxy will soak into the paper and discolor it before it sets.
I read somewhere that when preserving things in epoxy, you should coat paper products with Elmer's white glue, (perhaps two coats on those thick absorbent edges) and allow to dry.

Good point! I was thinkig about that last night as I looked down at the beermat I was using and noticed it was a little soggy.

As an alternative to white glue, you might also try spray polyurethane or some other sort of sealer.

Thanks guys! Hmm, if coasters won't work, I have a buddy who has a huge vinyl printer / cutter.. was thinking about having my ex-wife design some artwork with a big Deep Six logo in it, have him print it, the put that under the epoxy.

Just finished reading the thread and busy wiping up all my drool and spilt beer. (yes I know it's a sin).
Looking really great, and I'm looking forward to the final "it's all done, for now" pictures.

Ok, I've finally recovered from building the brewery / brew pub and am about to start working on the bar. Here is a mockup I did with Google Sketchup.. not very detailed, but you get the idea.

bar13.jpg

Here you can see the little corner urinal we are going to install with ol' timey wooden swinging bar doors. It is a little tight, but will work just fine..
bar23.jpg

And here is looking down at the bar. You can see where the keezer I am going to build will sit. It is a very large ~25 cu ft chest freezer that should house as much beer as I can throw at it.
bar33.jpg

What if you extended the bathroom all the way down to the left edge of the bar....there'd be a small "hallway" you could hang cool stuff in on the way to the pisser....and the other side of that wall could be shelving for pint glasses, etc.

THEN, open up the right side of the bar for foot traffic. You'd get more privacy, and a cozier, more efficient barspace.

Picked up my new chest freezer today for the bar.. this thing is massive at ~25 cu ft. I am still working on the final design, but have decided that I am buying a tower with 10 taps.

kegerator29.jpg

Picked up my new chest freezer today for the bar.. this thing is massive at ~25 cu ft. I am still working on the final design, but have decided that I am buying a tower with 10 taps.
damn!!!! how many corneys will fit in there? what configuration are you thinking of? (i.e. corneys+tank+carboys), I'm assuming no collar because of the tower so what size co2 tank will fit in there? PLEASE post pics(at least when your finished)

I've kinda gone AWOL lately, but I'm slowly making progress on everything. The bar is under construction at a local cabinet shop.. Should have something to show for it in another few weeks. It is going to be made out of recycled heart pine- can't wait to see it come together!

Latest posts

Back