decoction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa8jzdial

Reaction score
First post. Nice site. Improvement over the HBD.

I attempted a decoction mash many years ago and over shot my temp quite severely and have yet to try again.
I am considering another attempt but with a different twist.
I have a relatively large canning type pressure cooker and was thinking of using a large pot set inside of the cooker. With the mash inside the pressure cooker there would be no chance of scourching the malt. Just bring it up to just a few psi above ambient to keep the temp not much over 212 f and let her set. No need to stir ( you can't). Bad idea? Any insight.
tnx
rick

It's one interesting idea. I think that no stirring will be a problem. Thick mash would not be a good for heat transfer environment. Since you won't be able to stir to make it all even temperature the outside portion of you mash can get too hot, but the inside part would not get enough. Higher then 212F temperature would increase tannins extraction with will lead to astringency. So, I don't see any benefit of doing decoction this way.

Actually, the slight carmelization that takes place in a decoction is desirable. I think limiting the temperature of the heat source to 212 is going to be counterproductive, and it may negate the whole point of decocting in the first place.

Decocting is not scary at all...just boil some of the mash, bro! Do a few calcs with some brewing software if you're using decoction as a means to meet your step temps.

Yuri_Rage said:
Actually, the slight carmelization that takes place in a decoction is desirable. I think limiting the temperature of the heat source to 212 is going to be counterproductive, and it may negate the whole point of decocting in the first place.

Decocting is not scary at all...just boil some of the mash, bro! Do a few calcs with some brewing software if you're using decoction as a means to meet your step temps.

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Back