Decoction mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
i'm going to do decoction mash for my next brew,i read some tutorials and i learn many things from them ,but i have one difficulties with this method: when you pour all grains into brew pot how to filter 10lbs grain from wort ?? my brew pot doesn't have false bottom so i can't just open the valve and put a filter in it's way.how to separate grains from wort in brew pot ?
thanks

I'm not sure how a valve and false bottom would help you to collect grains anyway, but the best solution is just to scoop it out the top of your mash tun. There are good utensils for this, but I've always just used a big ceramic bowl.

But some grain remain in the pot ! and some wort scoop out with bowl?

But some grain remain in the pot ! and some wort scoop out with bowl?

Typically with a decoction, you don't heat up all of the grain, just a part of it. Also, you need some of the wort to come with. If there is too much liquid, you can always tip the bowl to its side to let some of the liquid drain out. How much grain and how much wort you should bring depends on how "stiff" you want the mash.

Latest posts

Back