Decoction mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. For any decoctions, I still use a gas flame. My BK element is in the kettle, at about the 3 gallon level, so I can't use it even if I wanted to as most of my decoctions are significantly less volume.

I doubt it will work well, part of what makes electric kettles work well is that wort is very fluid and you get convection currents easily formed. In a decoction you have a thick mash which wont heat evenly, or mix on its own. That being said it is worth a try.

I don't see it working. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it.

I am considering the same issue. I just switched to electric brewing but I like to decoct for weizens and pils. I think the grains would burn onto the element if you tried to do it directly in the BK. The double boiler idea above might work. I am thinking about getting a single burner electric stove like the following:
http://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-ELECTRIC-CE23309-SINGLE-BURNER/dp/B002TOBFM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325464716&sr=8-1

and use it with my smaller decoction kettle, the same way I would have with the propane burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back